Chapter 18

Warnings: Sadish? Cue the backstory lol

~Preston's P.O.V.~

     "Fudge." I state defeatedly, as we come to a skidding stop before the gaping ravine, blocking us.
     "Now what?!" Jerome exclaims, panting heavily.
     "I-I don't know!" Rob replies frantically, eyes darting everywhere.

     My stomach drops as o hear the rumble of warriors closing in, closing in on us by the second. Okay Preston, think. What options do we have? Forward and backwards equal death, and if we try to run around, they'll cut us off. Up is impossible... So that leaves... Down. I glance back behind me. Crap there's no time to dig.

"It was nice knowing you guys..." Jerome mumbles, just as the hundreds of diamond armoured warriors swarm into vision.

I automatically heat up, preparing for the worse as the soldiers charge us. If I'm going down, I'm going down fighting. Mitch is just kinda standing and watching, tears streaking down his face. Jerome has Betty drawn, and he's standing tall with a proud, yet sad gleam in his eyes. Rob is wielding two iron swords, trying to look brave but slightly shaking. The four of us are bunched together, almost shoulder to shoulder as we brace for impact...

But it never comes.

Instead, in the blink of an eye, there's a dark green orb shattering in front of us. There's a cloud of purple particles, and then suddenly were all being squished together. Only a second before a diamond blade swings down on our heads, suddenly the landscape changes, and we all tumble to the ground on the opposite side of the ravine. And standing before us, is none other than Vikk. They very same traitor who sold Mitch and the rest of us out, and then ran away like a coward.

I open my mouth to let the questions spill out, but Vikk cuts in.

"Questions later, now RUN!" He commands, taking off away from the ravine, and the army of warriors stuck on the other side.

The four of us scramble to our feet, stumbling after Vikk as a shower of arrows rains behind us, landing dangerously close but being just out of range to reach us. Questions streak through my mind, but for the sake of to dying, I hold my thoughts.

~~~

      "Okay... We lost them."
"Alright, now tell us, what. Then fudge. Was that?"
"Yeah honestly dude, first you try to kill us, then you abandon us, and then save us? What's up with that?" Jerome pushes, tending to the reopened gash on his arm.
Vikk sighs, "Yeah I know it's confusing... But I promise I'm not trying to trick you or anything."

     We all raise an eyebrow at him, and I cross my arms in obvious doubt. Vikk frowns.

     "Hey, I may be an assassin but I'm not heartless! I... That was a dirty move I made back there... I kinda regret it." He trails off, his eyes moving towards the ground.
     Jerome leans over to me, "Do you think something happened to him? Like a long time ago?"
     "Could be." I whisper in return, "I don't see why else he would save us."
     "So what are you trying to say?" Rob continues, glancing at Vikk with a judging eye.
     "I... I want to join you."
     "Oh, big bad Vikky is all of a sudden soft now, eh? I'm not buying it!" Mitch snaps, speaking for the first time in a while. "If it wasn't for you my dad might not hate me! Your nothing but a filthy, no-good, liar." He seethes, taking a menacing step towards Vikk. Rob immediately jumps in to hold him back.
     "YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT ME!" Vikk screeches, clearly offended. Jerome and I exchange a wary glance. "I'm a person, just like all of you! I have feelings too, you know! I want to join you because maybe then, if we really can stop this war, I can see my best friend again!" Tears welding up in his eyes.

     The four of us stand in shocked silence.

     "Please... I just want to see Lachlan again..." Vikk sniffles, hanging his head.

He's telling the truth. I realize, suddenly seeing a whole new side to this 'ruthless killer'. Mitch looks kinda guilty as the four of us stand awkwardly while Vikk quietly sobs. Then Jerome coughs, breaking the silence.

"Lachlan Hm... If your going to help us, would you mind filling us in?"
Vikk's nods briefly. "I was born in the dimensional kingdom, and when I was little, I met a boy named Lachlan. We did everything together, like everything. And I honestly still consider him to be family... Lachlan was really good with weapons and stuff, but he never quite got the hang of using a bow. He's super tall as well, so I always used to call him 'little Lachy' to make myself feel a bit better. If you couldn't tell, I'm pretty short. Anyways. Apparently my dad was actually from the Spell kingdom, and when the officials in our district found out, things went downhill fast. They killed my dad, locked up my mom, and since at the time I was sixteen and capable to take care of myself, they kicked me out of the city. I tried to go back, tried to see my mom and friends again, but they threatened to kill me like my father if I ever showed my face again. So I ran away and...well... You can see how I turned up." Vikk explains, chuckling sadly.

     Once he finishes, a period of tense silence follows. Vikk is staring at us with hopeful eyes, but we're all exchanging wary and uncertain glances. This in our chance to get someone from the Hidden kingdom, and possibly from the Dimensional kingdom as an added bonus, but... Is it really worth it? His story seems legit, but then again, he did try to kill us. I mean later he saved us, but he tried to kill us. Is this really someone we want to be traveling with 24/7? I ponder, willing to keep an open mind, but still keeping my guard up. And then, Mitch clears his throat.

     "Fine, you can come."
     "What?!" The four of us shout in unison, surprised Mitch of all people would say that.
     "But hear me out. You better not turn on us, because if you hurt me, you're in for a world of pain. And if you hurt any of my friends," Mitch continues, gesturing to the three of us, "I'm going to need a shovel."
     "Yah that sounds about right." Jerome agrees, nodding his head.
     "And it's the same situation for all of us, got it starboy?" I caution, making my skin flash momentarily as a warning.
     "Understood."

     Rob smiles, sticking out a hand.

     "Then welcome to the Pack." (Idk if I already had them decide that they were gonna call themselves the pack and I'm too lazy to check to let's just pretend I did)

~~~
Question of the chapter:

What's your least favourite subject in school?

My answer: History. I like history outside of school, but in school? Haha no.