Chapter 41

Warnings: None

~ 3rd P.O.V. As seen from Seto, Jasper, and Xenos~

      "That's four now. What are we going to do? They're obviously a lot tougher than they look."
     "We could send a band of troops to intercept them." Jasper suggests.
     "No, the Hidden kingdom already tried that. Remember? The 'Pack' defeated them outnumbered nearly 8 to 1."
     "Then let's one of us go. We're mages! They'll have nothing on us."
     "We can't risk it. They beat Skybrine, Enderlox, and WitherMU. Those three are just as powerful as us, if not more. Perhaps with the exception of Seto." Xenos insists, nodding towards him.
     "But we can't just let them stroll right in and challenge Seto! At the very least we must stop them once they reach-"
     "We can, actually." Seto Interjects, suddenly standing from his throne, hazel eyes glaring down at Jasper.
     "What?"
     "Honestly you two, at this point, I'd rather just let them come challenge me and win the kingdom fairly. This war has been going on for twenty-seven years. Twenty-seven. I say it's about time someone puts a stop to it, and these six seem to be the answer. Let them challenge me. I won't hold back, since it's my duty as ruler to protect the kingdom, but I'd nearly be glad if they won."
     "B-but Seto!" Jasper stammers, "is that not what we have been fighting for this entire time? To rule? You're right, this war has been going on twenty-seven long years, but after all this time, are you really willing to give it up that easily?"
     "I have to agree with Jasper, Seto." Xenos admits. "Maybe you should think this through a bit more. I mean-"
     "Enough. I've made my decision. I want both of you to go out and escort the Pack here to me. They intrigue me, and I do not want to establish any tension between us, considering the situation. Do not even think of hurting them, either. Now go." Seto Commands, waving Jasper and Xenos away, before taking a seat once more.

     Xenos and Jasper bow breifly, before hustling out of the room. Seto watches them go, and once he's certain that he won't be bothered for a little while, he slumps lazily down his chair, left to his own thoughts.

Outside the door, however, Jasper and Xenos glance warily over their shoulders as they hunch together in the corner of a private room, afraid someone might be spying on them. But after a few seconds without disturbance, they begin to converse in the quietest voices they can manage.

"What is Seto thinking? We can not just let them waltz right up here and challenge him! If what the game if what I think it is, we could very well lose the kingdom." Xenos hisses quietly.
Jasper nods, "You're right. What is Seto even doing as ruler anyway? He's much too young and too naive to be running a kingdom. We should honestly just go wipe out those six ourselves, and then come back and challenge Seto for the kingdom. That way we'll have someone worthy ruling. Like you or me."
Xenos shakes his head. "But have you forgotten how powerful Seto is? He's not ruler for no good reason. If we try to go against him, we're both toast. So we have no choice but to... Escort those rebels here."

Jasper growls in frustration, emerald green eyes narrowing as anger boils within him. And then suddenly, a sly smile creeps into his lips. Xenos smirks at the sight, running a hand through his short blond hair.

"I know that smile. What are you planning?"
Jasper smiles, clasping his hands together. "We have no choice to let the Pack challenge Seto, that is for certain. And sabotage won't have a good outcome either. But... If say... We do end up losing the kingdom..."

Jasper leans forward to Xenos, cupping his hand near his mouth as he whispers quietly into his ear. At every word, Xenos finds himself liking this plan more and more, and soon a wide smile is stretching across his face.

"Yes, yes. That will definitely deal quite a blow to them... In fact... I doubt they'll even be able to come back from it."
"If Roxane can play her cards right." Jasper points out.
Xenos nods. "True, but I'm one hundred and ten percent sure she will not only join our plan, but perhaps even improve it."
"Then we'd better hurry. The Pack will arrive shortly, and if we want this to work, we need to contact Roxane as soon as possible."

And with that Xenos and Jasper stand, grinning to themselves as they prepare to set their plan into motion.

~~~

     ~Rob's P.O.V.~

This is taking place a day after Seto told Xenos and Jasper to escort the Pack to the palace

I wince slightly as a comfortable warmth quickly becomes a stinging burn at my back.

"Agh, Preston, bro, lay off the heat a little." I grunt, reaching a hand around to rub my back.
"Well so-rry, but you do realize, if I fall, I will die. Right?" Preston replies snarkily.
"Then try not to burn the boat down." I retort, smiling to myself.
"Aw Preston, Rob just totally roasted you." Lachlan snickers.
"You two are the biggest cactuses I've met in my life, y'know that." Preston sighs in defeat, trying to hide an involuntary smile as he leans back in the boat, cooling off his skin a little.

We're currently sailing across the smooth waters of an ocean bordering the Spell kingdom. After lots of arguing, and Preston protesting, we finally managed to convince him to travel by boat rather than wasting time walking around the entire ocean. To save resources, we paired up two to a boat, and then set off as soon as the mobs burned. Mitch and Jerome take one, Vikk and Lachlan in another, and then myself and Preston in the lead as I direct us to the kingdom. Preston, as expected, is nervous and I can't really blame him since we're in the middle of an ocean in a tippy boat. I can tell he's trying his best to keep himself from subconsciously heating up, but I still have to remind him every now and again.

"Hey guys, sorry to interrupt the banter, but we've got company." Vikk suddenly announces, taking one hand off an oar to point off into the horizon.

There, set against the bright blue sky, are two dark spots. Squinting, and shielding my eyes with one hand, I can just make out the shapes of two people, one on each boat.

"What do we do? There's only two of them, but it could be a trap..." Jerome mumbles, shifting his position to peer over Mitch's shoulder.
"Let's let Rob decide." Mitch suggests.

The next second I can feel all five pairs of eyes trained in me, everyone watching and waiting expectantly for me to make the right decision. And I can't help but feel a little twang of anxiety. I've never really been the one to make decisions, but rather follow orders. And now boom, I'm shoved into the leading position, forced to make a choice that could very well endanger us all if it goes wrong. I bite my lip softly, eyes darting around as I weigh my options. And finally, after a few minutes of thinking it over, I decide.

"Let's go see what they want." I state, holding the oars on my boat once more, knuckles turning white at how tight I grip them. "And we won't get too close just in case it is a trap."
"And... If they attack?" Preston brings up nervously.
I glance over my shoulder at him. "Then you can blame me for whatever happens."

~~~
Question of the chapter:

Did anyone expect Seto as the ruler? And does anyone remember Jasper? (I introduced him wayyyyy back in Chapter 1 as one of six mages in the Spell kingdom. He was leading Rob into battle)

My answer: I'm asking you XD