Chapter 9

Warnings: Mentions of blood

     ~Preston's P.O.V.~

Ohh my head... Where am I...? I groan inwardly, cracking open bleary eyes, still in a daze.

"...He's waking up!"
"What? Really? Is he okay?!"

A black figure quickly shifts closer to me, and joins a black figure that was already there. One of them holds up a hand.

"Preston... How many fingers am I holding up?" The figure asks, even though it's right beside me sounding distant.
My stomach growls. "Mm potato."
"Yeah he's okay. I think he's hungry though."
The other figure, which now looks slightly blue for some reason, seems to search for something. "Eat this." It instructs, placing something against my lips. Rob...?

Groaning, I groggily reach up and grab a hold of the bulky thing, taking a tentative bite out of it. It's a baked potato. Suddenly hungry, I wolf down the root in the blink of an eye. Already feeling my strength coming back, I push myself into a sitting position, waiting for my eyes to adjust.

"How are you feeling, Preston?" The other figure, who I can now see is Jerome, asks.
"Ugh... Fine thanks. But... Where are we?"
"In the makeshift shelter Rob made yesterday." Jerome explains, while Rob gently pushes me back so I'm laying down again.
"You never came back so we had to go find you. As you probably know, you fell down a ravine. When I find you, you were in a small cobblestone hut surrounded by dozens of mobs. Jerome distracted them and I broke through the wall, with my hands, and then dragged you all the way back here."
"Oh yeah... I remember now..." I recall, "A skeleton shot me off at the edge. Then a zombie broke my fall. There were a ton of mobs, and I'm one hundred and ten percent sure my leg was broken, so I limped along and burned any mob that got too close. But eventually there were just too many mobs and I reached the dead end... So I made that cobble hut and then blacked out. Speaking of which... Why isn't my leg still broken?" I ask, wiggling it and not feeling any pain.
"I used my last healing potion on you."
"Oh... Thanks."

Then as Jerome explains whatever he did during that time, I glance down at my body. A lot of the places I remember being hit don't hurt anymore, but there's still a couple places where a few red-stained bandages are wrapped around. And then my eyes drift around the small shelter, taking in its simple decor. It's built out of acacia wood, with a single door at the front. There's a chest in the corner, and a random dirt block near the opposite corner. Beside the chest is a brewing stand, raised up on a single acacia log. There are three water bottles in the stand, and puffs of smoke rise from the top at regular intervals. Oh yeah that's right. The whole reason I went down there was to get stuff for Rob. I remember, sitting up. While I was running- um, limping for my life away from the mobs, I did manage to find a single peace of gold ore. I mined it in the few seconds of spare time I had, and then took off yet again. The spider eye I had no trouble getting, seeing as I burned about seven before I had to hide.

     "Here Rob, I got the stuff for you." I state, pulling out the brown mushroom, gold ore, and spider eye.
     Rob looks at the items in awe as I place them in his hands. "Even after all that... You still got them for me?"
     I grin, "Oh come on dude. You really think I'd let you down?"
     Rob chuckles, "Thanks Preston."

     And then he gives me a quick, tight hug. When I wince in pain however, he reels back.

     "Whoops sorry." He apologizes.
     "If you two are done now..." Jerome interjects, looking bored but slightly amused, "We should probably get going. The sun is already past its peak."

     Rob and I look out the door to find the sun, is indeed, starting to set. Rob sighs.

     "I'm afraid we're going to have to stay here another night. I still need to brew the potions, and by the time we set out, it's going to be getting dark."
     Jerome, although disappointed, nods. "Yeah I guess you're right."

     So as Rob takes the ingredients and starts to prepare them for the invisibility potions, Jerome pulls out a bed and sets it on the opposite wall from mine, leaving just enough space in the middle for Rob to set his.

     Even though it's still light out, and even though I've been our for who knows how long, I still can't help the sensation of sleepiness that overcomes me. And the fact that I'm already in a bed doesn't help.mSo, I readjust the covers over me, lay back, and yawn. And within the next thirty seconds, I drift into a peaceful sleep.

~~~

     Meanwhile, in the Hidden Kingdom...

~????'s P.O.V.~

"You wanted to see me?"
"Yes. I have a task for you."

Leaning casually against the doorframe, I play with one of my shurikens (throwing stars), examining the razor sharp edges. I cast a sideways glance at the ruler expectantly. I may belong to this kingdom, for now, but I often find myself drifting about. I belong to whatever kingdom needs me, and when they're done with me, I move onto the next. I don't really have a side in this whole war thing, and honestly, I think it's rather useless. Why not just split the land into six different sectors with different laws? It'd be so much easier. But then again... Making a living would be a little tougher. When there's a six-way war going on, and assassins job becomes a whole lot easier. There's always new requests popping up.

I straighten up as the burlap sack lands in front of my feet, the audible jingle of coins sounding like music to my ears as it makes contact with the ground. I pick it up, peek in at the variety of diamonds and coins, and then stash the money in my pocket.

"I'm At your service." I declare, bowing lightly.
"I'd like you and some of my own assassins to sneak into the Royal kingdom, and kill prince Mitchell. I only request this of you because... Well... To be quite frank my assassins are about as skilled as Endermen in a swamp. They need a good role model."
"Your wish is my command." I state, as usual, smiling deviously.

With a snap of his fingers, three other black clad figures are stepping out from the shadows. Just from their posture alone, I can tell they aren't the sneakiness of assassins. As if to prove my point, the largest of the three nearly trips and face plants on a simple crack in the stone brick floor. I sigh.

Looks like I'm going to have to do a bit of training before we go.

~~~
Question of the chapter:

Who's the assassin?

My answer: Hint- process of elimination ;)