Chapter 22

Welp

I was going to make Preston get hurt in the ice biome but... This is a little less cliche 😉

Warnings: Blood, gore, feels

~Vikk's P.O.V.~

The TNT explodes with such force that it throws Mitch, Jerome, and I back against the sandstone walls. My vision is clouded with white as the explosions light up the room, bursts of sound breaking my eardrums. And then, as quickly as it had set off, the explosions stop.

As the dust settles, Jerome, Mitch, and I slowly rise to our feet, gazing at the new gaping hole in the ground with bewilderment.

"No... They can't be dead..." I hear Mitch mumble under his breath, all our eyes glued to the place where Preston had dove in.

After a minute of standing, and watching in shocked silence, the dust finally settles and we are left with a huge gaping hold in front of us. And no sign of Preston or Rob. Slowly, we step towards the hole, afraid of what we might witness. Personally I'm expecting a ton of splattered blood, and items scattered around inside the pit. I mean, what else is there going to be? Maybe a limb or two... But there's no way they could've survived that. Or that's what I thought... Until I see an all too familiar warm glow, although it's faint.

Behind a broken cobblestone wall-if that's what it's even considered at this point-off in what seems to be a small dug out corner of the exploded pit, it a mound of lava. This 'mound of lava' is Preston, and I swear I can spot a tiny piece of blue beneath him. The three of us exchange an unbelieving and hopeful glance, before nimbly hoping down into the bottom of the pit. And sure enough, there's Preston, and the hidden form of Rob both behind and almost beneath him. From what I can see, I assume before the explosion had activated, Preston had tunnelled as far as he could into the wall, surrounded themselves with cobblestone, and the shielded Rob in an attempt to save him and himself. And, it looks like he succeeded in preventing them from being blown to pieces, but I doubt they're alive with the condition Preston is in.

I can't see his face, but his hoodie is almost completely blown off at the back, there are literally chunks missing from his back, and blood covers every inch of his back and legs, as well as gathering in a red puddle beneath him. He's kneeled over Rob, who is pressed into the corner behind him, also motionless and most likely dead. But even so, Jerome takes a few shaky steps forward, to go inspect them. Jerome gently takes Preston under the arms (which were previously wrapped tightly around Rob) and lays him on his back. The front side of Preston is totally fine, and Rob only seems to have suffered a few burn marks and cuts from the explosion. But I still have trouble believing there's even a chance of either of them being alive. Until Jerome gasps.

"THEY'RE ALIVE!" Jerome exclaims in shock, standing up quickly and whirling around to face us. "THEY'RE BOTH BREATHING!"
"What?!" I shout, Mitch and I rushing forward to see for ourselves.

Sure enough, although it's shallow, ragged, and uneven, Preston and Rob's chests are quickly rising and falling. Mitch yells out in surprise, and I nearly fall backwards.

"We need to help Preston before he dies! He doesn't have very long!" I shout, flipping him into his stomach to prevent his mauled back from losing any more blood or getting infected.
"How?! Preston's back is almost literally blown off! And what about Rob?!" Mitch shouts back.
"Rob is fine! It doesn't look like he suffered too much damage, Preston took the bulk of it! I have one healing potion left too!"
"One? Vikk, I appreciate the thought, but a single healing potion isn't going to fix that!" Mitch screeches, pointing at Preston's torn up and bloody back.

Mitch and I continue to argue, while Jerome gazes at Preston, deep in thought.

"Water." Jerome mutters.
"Water?" Mitch and I repeat in unison.
"Okay Jerome, I get your thirsty, but we have a bigger problem on our hands right now." I frown.
"Nonono I mean, let's put water on Preston's back! The water will turn to stone... It'll fill in the holes, and stop his bleeding!"
I scoff, "Yeah, if it doesn't kill him first."
"But it's worth a shot, right? We need to do something..." Mitch trails off, glancing worriedly at Preston's rapidly dulling skin.

I turn to Preston for a moment, frowning and assessing the situation. It's risky... And it could very well kill him. But... It might be our only chance. I realize.

"Fine. But there's one problem... We're in a desert. Where are we going to find water?"
"Maybe Rob has some?" Mitch suggests.

I move and kneel down beside Rob, searching through his inventory. Not only do I find three water bottles, but I see an item that, in the frenzy, we completely forgot about.

"The enchanted golden apple!" I exclaim, pulling it out. "This will make sure Preston won't die!"
"Yes!" Jerome exclaims, his eyes lighting up, "I forgot Rob had that!"
"Now hurry up, Vikk!" Mitch ushers, "Preston could die at any second!"

I nod urgently, and kneel down beside Preston. Panic floods my mind as I know that, if I mess this up, Preston will die. So I gently lift his head, and break the apple into smaller pieces, shoving them into his mouth and down his throat. Instantly, little wisps of pink and blue particles rise off of him, indicating the effects of the golden apple are working. His skin even glows a bit brighter. So I waste no time in laying him back down, and popping open the first of three water bottles.

As the water makes contact with his skin, it instantly turns to stone and fuses with him, a hissing sound filling the air and steam rising off of him. Preston, even though he's on the brink of death, flinches. But... He doesn't die. So I pour more on. Another hiss, another could of steam, and another twitch from Preston. I repeat this process multiple times until all three water bottles are used up, and there's stone filling in any gaps in Preston's back. As Jerome predicted, the bleeding has stopped, and the stone acts as his flesh, covering more than half his back. Just in that moment, the effects of the enchanted golden apple dies away too.

"You did it Vikk!" Jerome exclaims happily, all of our faces breaking out into grins as Preston's skin brightens a tad.
"Oh thank Notch..." Mitch whispers, tears collecting in his eyes.

I'm about to make a comment related to how big bad Mitch, one of the best fighters in the world, is crying... When suddenly I sense movement, and both Preston and Rob begin to stir.

~~~
Question of the chapter:

Reactions?

My answer: I was creative on how to turn Preston to stone (partially) but still live! Mum get the camera! XD