Chapter 3: Brat

"You know what you should do?"

"What?"

"Run away with me," Vlad said over our skype call.

I put the last stack of my shirts in my dresser then walked over to my bed and looked at my phone. Vlad was eating a bag of popcorn and watching YouTube videos on his tablet. "You know what?" He said.

"What?"

"You and I really need to go to a Skrillex concert," he smiled at me.

I laughed. I never understood why he was obsessed with Skrillex. The loud noise gave me a headache and not to mention, there were no words! Without judging him or his music, I kindly turned him down. "I'll stick to Of Men and Mice, thanks."

"Whatever," he moved his laptop so it could face just him and not his tablet. "I can't believe you moved. It's really empty without you here."

Vlad always found words that would warm my heart. If he wasn't gay, I would so be in love with. I was for a while and I'm not sure if that love was one hundred percent gone. Since he couldn't be my boyfriend, a best friend would work for me. "It's empty without you too. Who else is going to show me memes on my way to the mall?"

He laughed. "I'll send you some, alright?"

"Okay," I said. "I'm going to try and get some rest now. Okay?"

"Alright. Don't turn off your Skype, okay?"

"Okay," I said reaching for my charger and placing it onto my bed.  Vlad and I would normally skype and fall asleep together. Both of us hated the dark and found comfort in video chatting with him. Knowing he was up eating popcorn, listening to Skrillex, and watching me was comforting.

"Goodnight, Liv." He said.

I laid down on my pillow. The nights were always the hardest these days. Even Vlad couldn't stop the horrendous thoughts. Every time I was alone with myself, I saw what my mother did over and over in my mind. The vivid image of me walking into the living room after my mother had called me from my room. It had been a rainy morning and I had been leaving to take walk. Instead, I walked into the living room to see my mom sitting on a couch with a gun to her head smiling and waving one hand. Before I could say anything, she spoke. The words still lingered in my mind. Her words: "I don't belong here."

It took fifty tosses and turns until I finally fell asleep. I woke up many times because of the constant nightmares and sleep paralysis. Every time I would wake up, I'd look around. I was a bit paranoid of the dark. I checked Skype and saw that Vlad was finally asleep. I tried to clear my mind and do the same as him.

***

I was a wild sleeper, so my phone got disconnected from the charger and my phone died. I quickly put it back on the charger. A mini owl clock hung over my door. It read: 7:49 AM. I didn't sleep well, but I didn't feel like struggling to get back to sleep. I got out of the bed and took out some clothes to get ready for a shower.

There were a few beeps coming from my phone indicating that I had gotten messages. I checked them real quick before I went to bed. They were from Vlad.

11: 46 PM  "Hey? I thought you only said your dad had one child living with you...There's two that just came in?

12:07 AM "Um...please tell me you hear them playing rock paper scissors shoot on your bed."

1:43 AM "They're just...starring at the Skype screen. Weird. This is why I don't want kids."

The messages were strange. I didn't really think too much of it at the time. It could have been Shayla and Amber coming to check on me. What was with the rock paper scissors game, though? Without replying, I went inside of the bathroom and ran the shower water. 

As I was showering, I mumbled words to a song. I wanted to sing out loud, but I was afraid someone would hear me. It was easy doing it when I had lived with my mother. I was putting the soap down when all of a sudden I heard a strange sound coming from above me. It sounded like...whispering. I looked up but saw nothing.

Things got weird each time I blinked. I'm not sure how to describe it so that it makes sense, but every time I blinked I saw a black line that stayed for...not even a second. With every blink, more lines came. I rubbed my eyes, thinking I got too much water in them. I blinked once again and I swear, the lines almost looked like they made a word. I made out K and L but the rest weren't clear. 

Weird.

That was enough showering for. I turned off the water and grabbed my towel off the rack. I wrapped it around me then noticed the door was open and a hand rested between them. The hand left and I heard laughter. 

"Hey!" I said. I walked towards the door and closed it. Was Amber peeking inside? To make things even more strange. There were chalk lines on the door, floor, and two lines leading into the shower. I followed the lines and saw a circle outline made up of the white chalk inside the tub.

But how? 

That's impossible. Those lines weren't in the bathroom before. I quickly got dressed then walked out of my room. "Amber!" I said knocking on her door. 

She quickly opened it. "Yes?" She said in a dull voice.

"Were you peeking inside of my bathroom?" I asked.

"Yes," she answered to my surprise.

I was thrown off by her answer that  I didn't reply for a few seconds. Suddenly, Shayla had come up the stairs and was walking our way. "What's up guys?"

I pointed to Amber. "She was peeking in the bathroom while I was showering."

Shayla looked at Amber. "Is that true?"

"Yes," Amber said like it was no big deal.

To my surprise, Shayla laughed. 

"What's so funny?" I asked.

"She's only seven," Shayla placed her hands on her hips. "She doesn't care about you in the shower. Stop being a brat," she sighed. "He wanted one kid now we have two." She rolled her eyes.

My jaw almost dropped. Shayla shook her head and made her way towards the stairs. "I can't wait until we get you signed up for school. I don't need two brats in the house."

I still couldn't believe what had happened.My eyes widened even more. Did I hear her right? School? Were they thinking about signing me up for school? I had never been to school a day in my life. Not Pre-K, kindagarten, or even first grade. 

Amber slammed her door, knocking me out of my thoughts. I looked at Amber's door then the circles. Maybe school wouldn't be as bad as being in this house.

***

Point out any mistakes. I'm not feeling very well :c Probably ate something bad. But I managed to type through the pain just for you guys! Because I lovvvve you<3