Chapter 30: Fishing

Rose hadn't seen it, but when she wasn't looking, I had scooped up a handful of the powder Amber had given me. I put it in my back pocket, just in case. The two of us got downstairs in one piece. She opened the door, and the two of us waited in front. I quickly put some powder around myself and snuck some around Rose as we stood there and waited for her ride.

"Guess you're not allowed to go out this late?" Rose asked me.

I shook my head. "Are you kidding me? No way." I hoped she didn't hear the nervousness in my voice. I talked way too fast for her to NOT notice. I hoped the car would hurry up soon. We were standing in the dark, with only the light coming from Rose's phone. I watched as she turned around to look at the house.

"Man," Rose said. "I would hate to take care of this bad boy."

Ignoring her, I looked at her phone. "Are they close by?" I asked. The singing sounded as if it was getting closer. The wind blew harder, the trees shook viciously, and I felt very, very cold.

"Trying to get rid of me so fast?" Rose asked.

I shook my head. "Of course not. I just don't like being out here in the dark too long."

Rose didn't reply. By the way she was staring at the trees made me not want to look in her direction. It was when her arms slowly lifted up in front of me, and her finger pointed to something that I knew something was up. "What is that?" Her voice trembled.

I took a deep breath before looking in the direction she looked. Standing only a few feet away from us, was a deformed shadow. The reason I said it was deformed was that the face of the shadow looked like someone took a pencil and scribbled over it. However, the horrifying part is that the shadow had one eye where the mouth should have been and one mouth where an eyebrow should have been. The shadows outline limped to the side as if the wind was blowing harshly against his body and blowing down on it's at the same time.

Rose dropped her phone face down leaving us in the dark. I quickly went to grab out of fear of being in the dark. However, a cold hand touched mine. I was hoping it would be Rose's hand, but it wasn't. I flipped the phone around and found shadows over shadows, over shadows staring at Rose and I. I heard them chant their song, but I couldn't understand their language. In that moment of fear, a bit of calmness overcame me. A strange feeling of tranquility. They were no longer dangerous. I stood up and handed Rose the phone.

"Let's go," she grabbed my hand.

Their song pulled me in like the waves of the ocean. A strange alien sound that I had never heard before that no living human heard before overcame me. "They're not dangerous," I whispered.

All of a sudden, car lights bobbed up and down towards us, and the shadows disappeared. Rose quickly ran towards the car, jumping inside and slamming the door shut. My fear immediately came back, and I ran inside of the house. As soon as I locked it, I heard that devious voice that I had heard the other night. The voice that made the shadow scream and cry. I felt the fear as I heard sources running over leaves outside of my house. The shadows were running away from something, and I didn't know what it was.

...

It was the weekend. My father had the idea that we should go fishing. Shayla claimed that she had to meet up with a modeling agent and Amber claimed that she was sick. I wanted to come out with a lie myself, but I wasn't a good liar. Dad decided that he and I would go fishing.

"My father and I used to win fishing competitions," my father said as we sat on the boat. He had taken us to a park that was full of trees, one football field, a soccer field, and a small park for children. He explained that he used to come to this park for summer camp. It was called Branch Brook Park. He used the swim in the lake that we were in now.

"I've never been fishing," I said while holding onto a fishing rod he had given me. The murky water disgusted me, and I wondered who would want to swim in this brown mess.

He looked into the water while shaking his head as if he remembered something. "Nope nope," he simply said. "You went fishing with me when you are five. We caught a tuna fish, and your mother dropped it onto the boat, and the fish began flapping towards you." He then started to laugh.

"I don't remember that," I smiled as I did my best to recall the event.

"There was a time your mother went fishing with me, and she fell into the water," he went on. "I thought she would drown because she didn't know how to swim. But she learned that day." He then laughed again.

I frowned, thinking about my mom. Wishing she was still here with us. Some days it was hard to miss her because of everything that happened between us. I loved my mom, but she had too many problems. As I was sitting on the boat thinking about her, I realized that I was going insane just like her. I saw the things she saw. I wanted to believe that it was just my imagination but it wasn't. There was no way to play it off anymore. The worst part was, I didn't know what to do about it. I feared that I would end up doing what she did. 

"Do you miss her?" I said by accident. I didn't mean to say it. It was like another voice snuck inside of me and said it.

He looked at me, and for a second I thought he would yell. He just nodded his head. "I do. I wish she were still alive and on Earth with us."

I guess there was some good in my father. Somewhere deep down. The fun was over soon when we had caught our third fish. I didn't catch anything and fishing was not my thing. When we got back home, I sat on the front steps and circled myself with the powder. From there, I looked at the trees wondering where my mother was and what she was doing. And if anything, was she with The Lovely Suicide Children.