Chapter 72: Returning

My mother began changing into her horrible form. The crows were the only thing distracting the cops at that moment since they couldn't see her mother. Rose got on the ground and covered her head. I stood up, staring at my mother's wings that towered above me. As quick as I could, I kneeled down and tried to peel the lighter out of Rose's hand.

"Give it to me!" I yelled at her.

"No! The cops are right h-"

"Get on the ground!" We heard a woman say through the speaker. In a little echo, I could hear them asking where were all the crows coming from. As soon as they focused their attention on us, the crows began attacking the officers.

"What in the world!" One of the men cried out.

I looked back on Rose. "Give it to me," I finally pried her hands open then grabbed the lighter.

My mother's wing slapped me and I ended up getting thrown into the air away from Rose. My arm hit the ground hard and I let out a small cry from pain. My mother glided toward me. I started striking the ground with sparks from the lighter. My mother only laughed as she got closer and closer.

"Come on," she said in a soft angelic voice that almost sounded innocent like a child. "Come home where you belong. Don't put yourself in Robert's shoes."

Suddenly, Robert appeared before me, knees on the ground with chains around his hands, legs, and mouth. His face was covered in blood. Sunny then appeared next to him followed by Emmitt, Bee, Casper, Iris, and even Julia. Though none of them were moving or looking at me, I could hear them screaming. Screaming for help and telling me that they were being tortured.

Taking the lighter, I began doing my best to set more grass on fire. A cop came out of nowhere and asked me what I was doing while a crow followed him and used his hands to chase it away. It didn't work. The crow kept pecking at him, making him bleed.

"There's something evil here," I yelled out, still trying to set a larger fire. I could hear my mother simply laughing in the background. I was about to turn around to see where she was but I saw the officer stressfully try and reach for his gun while trying to throw off the crow.

"Put the lighter down or I'll shoot!" He said.

I began inching away from him but I trip. Tripped over Sunny.

"Help me!" I heard her scream as she looked at the ground, eyes closed, and mouth chained. The voice wasn't coming from her. It was coming from wherever she was being tortured from.

The police began running back towards their cars until all of them drove away, some calling for backup. I saw Rose get up and try putting some out, but the crows followed her.

"What now?" My mom said softly before stepping towards me. "What now!" Her voice changed. It was darker. More evil. She reached out towards me with her wing, gripping my hip. However, I was able to light a little tip of her wing, causing her to screech then drop me. The fires were beginning to spread, wrapping flames around Robert, Sunny, and the others. It didn't affect them though. They were already being tortured.

"Okay," I frantically whispered to myself as I looked at my mother's horrendous form. "The flames affect her. The flames affect her." I had to inch away from the flames. I felt it getting hotter and hotter. I started running, starting as many flames as I could around the field. My mother closely followed but didn't stop me. She waited and waited, eyeing me with each movement I made. I saw the crows backing away from Rose.

"Come home, Olivia," my mother finally chased me while I ran towards another clear spot. This time, she grabbed me around my arms and I dropped the lighter.

"Stop doing this! It won't make you happy!" I told her, trying to wriggle away, but the grip was too tight. A flame exploded around behind my mom's back. Another screech. She launched in the air, floating without flapping.

"I am happy," she screeched out. The crows flew up, surrounding us. "You're the one that won't be happy."

Once again, she dropped me. This time, I fell on my leg. I felt an intense burning pain hit me all at once. I let out a cry. Rose quickly rushed over to me. "Oh my God, Olivia!" I felt the air almost leave my body as Rose tried to lift me.

"Olivia!"

At that moment, I heard Robert's voice calling me, followed by a scream, followed by my name again.

"They'll help you!"

"Who," I breathed out.

"The Lovely Suicide Children."

"Go back?"

"Go back. Only Way."

I let Rose try and drag me to the road. Once we were away from the flames, I took her hand. "Go get the car. I'll be okay."

"What-"

"Can you listen for once! Just get the car and come back! Whatever happens, just make sure-" I coughed for a second, trying to hide the fact that it was blood as soon as I saw it on my hand. "make sure I get back to the hospital. Try and save me. Please, Rose. Go now!"

"No-"

"My mother's here. Go!"

Rose finally got up, frantically looking around. She ran, and when I saw that she didn't stop running, I waited a few minutes. My mother laughed and laughed, watching me suffer.

Minutes passed and I decided to crawl back towards the field. "Fine! You win." I said, making my way towards the hot flames.

"Oh do I?" My mother stood behind the flame I crawled towards.

"You win! I'll see you-" I coughed more, the flames burning my skin was a lot and I did everything in my power to stay there. "See you back home."