Chapter 54: Horrible

On my way out of my mother's palace, the guards all gazed at me. Everyone else I had passed smiled or waved to me, but not the guards or whatever they were. I didn't gesture to anyone. I just kept walking until I was out of there. Once outside, I stepped away from everyone around me until I was alone in my own space. I needed time to think, time to breathe and time to plan my next move. Although, I was skeptical about this place, I was falling in love with the surrounding each second. The people around me were happy. Not a worry seemed to be on anyone's face. On Earth, everyone was sad, stressed, concerned about how they looked, and what grade they would get in a class they wouldn't care about. Here, it didn't seem that way. All smiles were vivid.

In the distance, I saw smaller houses floating. They weren't like my mother's place; less fancy in fact. I didn't need anyone in charge to help me out. I needed someone who was clueless about why and how I ended up here.

I took a deep breath and started my journey, walking towards the small houses and wondering how I'd get into one if I wanted to. Every now and then, a soft wind blew, causing me to giggle as if the breeze tickled my insides.

"You must be new here." I heard a voice say.

I turned around but didn't see anyone behind me. I turned to the left and right but saw nothing. Finally, I looked up where I found two pairs of bare feet above me. I moved to the side, and let a boy who was taller than me land. However, his landing wasn't good. He ended up losing balance as soon as his feet touched the floor.

"Oh my God, are you okay?" I asked, helping him up. 

He took my hand then stood up. His hair caught my attention more than anything. It was white, shiny and sprawled out like he never combed in a day in his life. Luckily for him, it rested just above his eyes so he could see. His skin was a dark brown with a smooth, soft touch to it that made me want to hold his hand forever. I couldn't read his eyes, they weren't light like the others, but black and bold almost like a that of a young child. I sensed something about them. Something lost. 

He looked at his shoes, displayed them in front of himself as if to check for damages then looked up at me. "You get used to it."

I glanced down at his feet. "Flying?" I asked.

He shook his head and looked at me. No smile on his face. "The wind. It tickles when you first get here. Goes away after a few days." 

Standing there with this boy, I wondered why he seemed so tense. His boyish features didn't define his age, but I did wonder if he was younger than me. I was nervous to ask due to how serious he looked at me like he didn't trust me or something. 

"Oh, right," I said. 

"That's how I knew you were new here," he said. His lips drew into his mouth, making him look more stiff and dull at the same time. However, due to his features, it was artistic in a way. I could see him on a painting surrounded by art lovers wondering about the grey-haired boy with dark skin and eyes that seem to be lost in space.

Not wanting to be bold, I stuck out my hand. He quickly shook it before I could introduce myself. I put my hand down and smiled. "I'm Olivia. What's your name?"

"Emmit," he said. "How long have you been here?"

"I was here since yesterday."

"Really?"

"Yes," I replied. For the first time, a smile appeared on his face. While he seemed happy, I thought this was my opportunity to ask his age. It was just killing me; the fact I didn't know whether he was a young boy or not. "If I may ask, how old are you exactly?"

"Died on Earth when I was 20-years-old," he crossed his arms, still smiling. "Been here a while. Lost track of how old I am here. Time moves fast, so I stopped keeping up. I guess I'm still 20. You?"

"16," I replied.

"Nice," he said then began walking forward. "Have you gotten your roommate and house?"

I followed him, walking towards the small house. "Um, not yet."

"Don't worry, they will assign you one," he said and pointed to a blue house that floated in the distant. "I live there with Bee, Casper, Iris, and Julia. Bee and Casper are brothers. They don't get along, but that's the part that entertains us all. If age matters, Bee is 14, Casper is your age. Julia is actually 26, but she doesn't act like an adult. Her entire life she was sheltered, put into a religion she didn't want to be in. No TV, no music, no school, no friends. She thinks like a child, isn't all that smart. However, I say she is creatively smart. Iris, she's amazing. I don't know how someone like her ended up in a horrible place like this."

Horrible? "Why do you think this place is horrible?"

He winked at me. "You have to be here to see. I know it all seems like a dream world, but you'll find out sooner or later what this all about. Hey, maybe you can even help us plan."

"I'm sorry," I stopped. "I don't follow."

"You will soon," he said then his smile disappeared. "The house is here. Want to meet them?"

I looked up. I didn't realize how long we walked, but it seemed like no time at all. Sure enough, a blue house decorated with colorful stones floated above me. Did I want to meet them? Of course, I did. They knew something was up about this place. Something horrible, and I needed to find out what that horrible was.

***

*Very sorry for late updates. Always my hands problems that keep me from it. I swear I hate being inactive.*

Shout-out to amazing_melon123 who said: Hi, I wanted to ask if I could promote my book. It's kind of a special book—one of the 'for hire' book. It's one where graphic designers, critics, trailer makers, and editors can be posted so they might get hired for a cover/trailer or a book to edit or review. Authors can post their book, too, so they can get reads. I wanted to ask if it was alright.

Shout-out to DarkMonarch88 :) Here's the update hehe. Trying to update again right now.

I have this new thing when I'm going to do random shout-outs in my page. If you have a message to share or anything, I will consider putting it at the end of my chapters :)