Chapter 64: Laughter Without Hope

Mother led me down the stairs where we met Ava. "I don't think we've ever had a take your child to work day," my mother laughed.

Ava joined in and smirked at me. "Lucky you," she said. "Not everyone around here gets that lucky."

I stood there, smiling awkwardly. "Lucky me, aha."

Mother took Ava's hand, and Ava took mines. I thought we would fly, but instead, we went down. Down, down, down. In a matter of seconds, we were surrounded by trees. Real trees. Earth trees. I looked around and saw a field of hay and woods. Horses and ponies prancing about, but when we appeared, they scattered.

"Animals sense the dead but humans cannot," Ava said.

"Are we on Earth?" I asked.

As soon as I asked, a bunch of crows gathered around us, swirling over our heads in spiraling circles. The bunch of them cawed loud, darkening the space around us. Things began dropping near our feet. I felt it, but couldn't see it yet. It was still too dark. The crows finally stopped circling then flew towards her mouth, one by one, flying in. Hundreds of them. After the last one flew inside, she whispered words.

"Thank you."

Thinking the scene I had just seen was highly disturbing, I finally looked at the ground. However, I didn't expect things to become more disturbing. Mother and Ava began picking up what the crows left on the grass. About a hand full of them were spread out. Fingers, toes, tongues, pieces of hair.

"Mom," I backed up. "What is this?"

"This is how we find our suicide children," she said. "The crows find them, bring back their pieces, and we scent them out and bring their bodies to us before they're buried. If they're buried first without us getting a piece of them, then we have no control over them."

Where did these messed up ideas emerge from? I helped them pick up the last two toes, to get on in the action like I was actually interested when instead I wanted to throw up by a bush or something.

Ava and I handed mother the body parts, and she closed them into her palm. Soon after she rubbed her arms, but the pieces were no longer solid. It's like they dissolved into her because her bare arms shined. 

"Welcome, my lovely suicide children," she smiled. "It's okay now. You're going home."

Tragic. I thought. These poor kids, falling into a trap. "Interesting," I looked at my mother's arm.

"It is," she replied then spread out her arms in the air. Soon after shadows in the form of water droplets fell from her lower arms, onto the ground, shaping into shadow figures like the ones I had seen in the house.

"My children," mother said. "save those you love. Your friends, your family, your siblings. They don't belong here."

The shadows didn't walk. They quickly glided away within seconds, leaving the three of us there alone. I heard their voices linger in the air. Their song. They were on a mission. A mission to make people as miserable as possible. The worse part is that it would be people whom they knew. They believed  it. They believed in my mother.

***

I waited underneath Emmitt's house until he arrived with the Horrendous Squad. Crossing his hands while giving me a mean look, he tilted his head. "Get any information from, mom?"

"Yeah, I did," I said while talking in the same tone he did with me. I let him know everything she told me and what I saw the crows do. "It's like she's collecting their pieces. And each piece of suicide children is in her, and she has control."

I expected a reply, but he merely nodded then turned around. I grabbed his arm. "Emmitt, stop," I said. "you're not going to be able to do this without me."

"I got this far," he said. "plus you're most likely the one going to be caught before any of us."

"If you don't let me help then I'm not telling you anything," I told him.

He chuckled. "I had already expected that from the daughter of Morphan."

Shaking my head, I started to walk away. However, someone grabbed my hand, but it wasn't Emmit. It was Julia with Iris standing behind her. "We trust you," Julia smiled at me. "at first I didn't, but the information you're giving us, I'm sure some lost their freedom here trying to get it. So, thank you."

Iris hugged me then pulled back to look at me. "That was risky and brave of you. You pulled it off. We're going to need you."

"Yeah," Julia turned around. A nerf gun appeared in her hand, and she shot foam bullets at Emmitt. He moved his arms in front of his face, but it was too late. One had already hit him on the cheek. Soon a nerf gun appeared in my hand then Julias' and Iris's hands. It took Emmitt two seconds to shrug his anger away. The four of us broke out into a mini-game of nerf and soon after more suicide children, kids and teens joined us.

All of us were laughing, but for some of us, especially me, it was a painful kind of laugh. In a world of no hope, sometimes you can do nothing but laugh...

***

Hey, guys, I made a dumb video/vlog on Wattpad tips on YouTube. It wasn't a serious one. More just a video for fun but I include some tips with my sister who is also a writer. 

My channel is: Ms_Horrendous

:)