Chapter 47: Sunny's Broken Promise

Amber started shaking, so I climbed on the bed with her. The bone dust around her spilled here and there as I moved, but I didn't care. I reached around her shoulders and held her close to me. "Stop shaking. We can help Sunny. We can fix all of this, but I have to know what Sunny did to get taken?"

"She-she was trying to protect me," Amber began crying. Her head rested on my shoulder, and her tears fell on me. "Now they're going to take me away."

"Will you save her?" Amber squeezed my hand, looking up at me. "She was just trying to protect me."

I took Amber's hand. "I promise I will protect you and get Sunny back. I won't let anyone hurt you, and if something got you, I'd take you back. Okay? Just tell me what's really going on."

"Okay," Amber breathed really hard. "Shayla and your father found this place. After I ran away from home, I found them in this house. They wouldn't take me, but I found sunny, and she said she'd protect me and be my friend. She gave me money, and each time I presented it to Shayla, she liked me more and more. So she told dad to take me in. I didn't like them, but Sunny was my only family."

"She didn't ask you where the money came from?" I asked.

"She didn't care. Shayla is greedy."

Amber paused, and I gave her time to build up the wanting to talk again. She began crying again, squeezing my hand and telling me she wanted Sunny back before continuing.

"Then," she went on. "Sunny told me she had to make me sad. That her job was to make me kill myself. Sunny couldn't and she wouldn't, so she made a deal with The Lovely Suicide Children or the leader there. They told Sunny I could stay if she promised to bring in more "recruits."

I raised an eyebrow at her. "What do you mean by that?"

Amber shrugged. "More children I guess? I'm not sure. Sunny has killed off maids and many others who attended the house regularly. The bones were to protect me."

"Dad didn't think it was weird that people he hired were going missing?" I asked.

Amber shook her head. "I don't think they cared. Especially your father."

"A normal person would notice that though," I said.

 "Sunny thought you'd leave. She wanted you to, but she had to do her job and make it seem that way. She was keeping me safe, and I played along to protect myself too. I was just afraid."

I didn't know what to say next. I was speechless. Knowing Sunny killed off so many to protect Amber was extreme. I didn't know whether to feel sorry for Sunny or despise her even more. Part of me did feel some sort of way. I mean, Sunny did want me to escape. If only I had known sooner.

Amber hugged me tightly. "Am I going to die now?" She whispered. 

I didn't mean to cry, but I a tear shed from my eye. I hugged her tight. I didn't want to lose Amber. As I held her in my arms, I quietly swore to protect her. For a moment, she felt like a sister to me. Someone I was responsible for. Dad and Shayla didn't really care about her, she was just there. Amber was all I had now.

"You won't die," I pulled her away from me to look into her eyes. "I won't let you. You have me now, and we have each other."

Amber's eyes were red and puffy. Her cheeks light pink as she frowned. "We're running out of bones, Olivia."

"It's going to be okay," I embraced her once more. "Don't think about that right now. We shouldn't have to do what Sunny did anymore. I'll find another way to keep us safe."

I felt Amber twisting my hair around. "I don't want to make people feel bad anymore," she mumbled with her mouth on my shoulder. "It's not fair."

"You're right, Amber," I said, actually feeling like a big sister teaching their little sister a lesson. "No one should make anyone feel bad to a point where they want to kill themselves."

There was silence between us for a while. No longer twirling my hair around, Amber's hand fell onto the bed. I looked at her, immediately pressing my hand against her chest to make sure she was breathing. She had fallen asleep. I sighed in relief. After gently laying her down, I laid down next to her. 

"Please stay in the lines," Amber groaned, her eyes still closed. "You can't hear them sing if you do."

I smiled. "I remember when you used to tell me to stay in the lines. I wish I listened to her, maybe I wouldn't have heard The Lovely Suicide Children."

...

Weeks passed by, and things have been rough. School got harder and harder, and Shayla and my father couldn't go a day without arguing. They barely talked to me, and when I had asked for money for new books, they both said no. 

I spent a lot of my time outside, looking at the trees. Amber made sure I had bone dust around me even though I didn't want it. I felt terrible about Robert being thrown everywhere around this house. However, I hadn't had any contact from The Lovely Suicide Children. No singing. Nothing. Yet, Robert's bones were running out. If that were really the only thing protecting Amber, then maybe we both would be in trouble soon...

***

Sorry for the slow updates. During the winter and cold weathers, my carpal tunnel and nerves in my hands feel a lot worst. So I haven't been on Wattpad much updating in replying due to pain. But I will always try to update as fast as I can because I love working on this story :)