Chapter 15: Shayla the Scumskank

After school had ended, I waited outside for my dad or Shayla to pick me up. Ten minutes had passed by, and I worried that Shayla wouldn't pick me up at all. It was something to consider. However, if that were the case, then I wouldn't have a way to go home. Walking was not an option.

I sat in the grass, letting the music protect me from feeling stared upon and judged. It wasn't long before Robert took my headphones off and sat next to me. He was holding a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in his hand.

"Would you like a bite?" He asked, sitting close to me. Robert had no concerns about people's space, especially mine. I minded, and at the same time, I didn't mind.

"No thanks," I laughed. I was not a fan of eating after people.

Robert shrugged then shoved the rest of the sandwich into his mouth. I pointed to my chin, indicating that he had something on his. Strangely, he took a fresh leaf off of the ground and patted the jelly spot off of his chin. I burst out laughing, and he joined me.

"No ride?" He asked.

I shook my head. "Parents are late."

"Mine are always late," he chuckled. "Do you live far?"

"Not really," I said. "15 minutes away, I think. You?"

He raised an eyebrow. "Are you stalking me?"

I smiled, used his jokes by now. "Hey," something popped into my head. "Do you usually snatch phones away from people and make them chase you?"

He gave me a gentle smile. "Just the sad ones. Like I said, it made you happier."

He was right, it did. If it weren't for him, my day would have been a mess, and I would have fallen apart before the day was over with. I owed it to him.

"Sometimes people need to get up and run," he looked into the air. "You know, get your blood pumping. You were sad, and if I hadn't come along, you would have sat down and listened to your music and fall asleep in your classes."

He was right. I nodded my head. "Maybe that's true."

"Being sad is one thing," he continued. "But the more you isolate yourself by letting your worries eat you alive, it will never end. Next time you're sad, put those headphones on, turn up the music, and run around a track or something. I swear you will feel so much better. Exercise. Don't worry about what people think. Just listen to the lyrics and let it make you invisible."

I was about to say something, but I saw Shayla parking next to us. "Let's go!"

"Coming!" I yelled back. I stood up along with Robert. "See you tomorrow."

"See you later, alligator."

***

During lunch, I let Amber fix me one of her so called famous fruit salad. I stood in the kitchen, watching her slice up some strawberries, bananas, oranges, and kiwi. After she was done, she put them in a silver bowl, added some water and about three pinches of sugar. When she was done, she put the bowl on the table, grabbed two spoons, and gestured me to sit with her.

"I like mine sweet, but I wasn't sure if you did or not," Amber said.

I took the spoon even though I preferred a fork and scooped in two sliced banana pieces and one strawberry. In my mouth, it went. It actually wasn't bad, and I enjoyed it. "This is good, Amber. Did you learn how to make this yourself."

"Sunny taught me," she said. It still scared me when I heard that name because then I remembered that face and the veins that showed. I almost lost my appetite thinking about her.