Chapter 40: Stopping Rose

I jolted up, knowing I had gotten too much sleep and it was time for school. I stepped out of bed and went over to the bathroom, however, found Amber washing her hands. I jumped back when I had seen her. "Why are you in here?" I questioned her.

"What are you doing up?" She asked. "You don't have school."

"What?"

"There's a crime scene," Amber crossed her arms. "in case you have forgotten, you went out there digging up graves, and some boy got killed."

I put my hand over her mouth then quickly shut my door. After that, I took her hand and led her over to my bed where we sat. "Do you remember everything, Amber? Sunny took you out of the house and made you kill that guy."

She crawled in the middle of my bed, nodded her head then wrapped her arms around her knees. "I know," she breathed out like she was going to cry. "Sunny has never done that before."

"You don't know why she's doing it?" I asked her in a low voice. Before she could say anything, someone knocked on the door. Amber and I jerked our heads in the position of the knocking. "Come in?" I said nervously.

It was my Rose and my dad. "Oh good, she's up," he said then closed the door behind himself. Rose stood there, staring blankly at Amber and me.

"Hey," I stood up and looked at her. "What's up?"

"They canceled the contest," she said. "and my grandma isn't doing too well."

"I'm sorry," I watched as she walked past me to sit at the edge of my bed. 

She looked straight into my eyes. "The show was supposed to be today."

How in the world could she talk about the show being canceled? A boy was dead. I understood she wanted to see her grandmother, but we had a severe situation last night. Rose looked away from me. She was breathing hard. I felt so sorry and so bad like this was my fault. If I didn't go out there, this wouldn't have happened. 

"They're doing a serious investigation," Rose went on. "And they're focused on Megan, but no one can find them."

"Wait," I stopped her. "Just Megan or all them are missing?"

"Megan and her crew are gone. No trace," she replied. "Don't get me wrong. They were serious assholes who could have killed us last night, but I can't help to feel worried."

"It was dark, and there were no lights. I don't think any cameras-"

Rose's cell phone rang. I saw who was calling. It was her father. Do you ever have that feeling that something terrible is going to happen and it actually does now or later? That's how I felt, and my heart couldn't help but race. I knew it had to be about her grandmother.

"Hello?" Rose answered.

Her father's  voice was low, and there was a long silence The look on Rose's face told me that I had been right. Something bad happened. "This is your fault!" She grunted and yelled into the phone at her father. "You didn't help her!"  Shen then pinched the bridge of her nose, sucked in rigid breaths and got up then sat back down again. I knew how she felt because I did all of those things when I had lost my mother. I could barely breathe, and everything felt so unreal. 

Without words, Rose got up and quickly walked out of my room. I knew it would be the right thing to do to follow her, to calm her, to hug her like all the times she had been there for me. "Rose!" I called her name where she stopped before going down the stairs. She didn't move, just stood with her back facing me while clenching her hands and phone. I tried to hug her, but she pushed me away so hard that I fell against the wall.

"This is your fault!" She screamed.

"It is not!" I replied back. "Even if the contest did happen, it would have been today and-"

"She only has at least two days to live the doctors said," she cried while holding up two fingers. "My dad doesn't have the money, and there is no other way to get there. My father doesn't care, and I don't have money for gas so I could at least drive."

"Rose, I'm sorry," I almost cried. "I thought we were in danger."

By now, Shayla and my father opened their bedroom door and peeked out like nosey little kids. "No, Olivia," Rose whispered when she noticed we were being watched. "You were in danger." She stared, half-open mouth, wanting to say something but couldn't find the right words. "If anything happens to my grandma, justice will be served."

While Rose ran down the stairs, past my father who had asked her what was wrong, I just slid down onto the floor. What did she mean by justice would be served? For her grandmother's death...or for Devin's, Megan and her crew? I didn't know. 

Amber helped me up but squeezed my hand harshly. It hurt so badly, and I didn't realize what was going on until I looked at her. Her face was stretched open, and Sunny's body was squeezing inside. With Sunny's own mouth sinking into Amber's face, she began talking. "She's going to tell on you," Sunny said from half-way inside Amber's body. "We have to stop her."

Terrified I was, and terrified I would soon to be. Sunny wasn't stopping now and I was afraid she wouldn't stop anytime soon. What did she want from this? What did she want from me...