Not about angels

Lauren was seven the first time she met her.

It was a sunny day, and naturally, Lauren would come by the playground at the park close to the larger houses  in their neighborhood with the sole intention of playing with the kids around her age.

However, it doesn't really happen because she was different and she knew she was different but she didn't think of it as a bad thing, because her parents always reassured her that but other people thought otherwise. She wasn't affluent like they were, and so she doesn't really get to play with the kids in that side of the neighborhood — one look at her filthy clothes and overused converse and she'd be looked down upon by them. They made fun of her that Lauren was on the point of bursting into tears.

She didn't though, instead, she decided to sit on the bench close to the massive tree and pulled her legs up to her chest. She was too consumed of keeping herself together that she didn't notice the girl sitting by on the other end of the wooden bench, so when she spoke, Lauren almost jumped out of her skin.

"Hi." A voice chirped causing Lauren to snap her head to her right and frown. There sat a girl with a pink bow on her hair and broad smile on her lips. Her brown orbs seemed to have a glint of gold as the sunlight hits it and she wore a beautiful floral dress and shoes that looked to be brand new as it still shined. Lauren couldn't help but compare it to her own, battered up from the amount of times she'd used it and the amount of times she'd tripped on it. But It was all she had, her grandmother gave it to her as a present and she loves it just as much as when it was new. Her parents wanted to buy her a new one but Lauren didn't want them to waste anymore money on her.

"Hallo." Lauren still had a frown on her face and looked the girl from head to toe. She wondered why she'd be talking to her or why she wasn't playing with the rest of the kids. She did notice the book propped up on her lap and assumed that must be why. The girl's smile was still intact, that eventually, Lauren's lips curled up into a closed lipped smile. Her smile was infectious and Lauren thought she was really pretty.

"What's your name? I'm Karla and I'm seven years old." The girl introduced herself timidly, to which Lauren thought was adorable as she tucked her loose strands of hair behind her ear. There was a hint of a familiar accent on her tone, it sounded like home.

"My name is Lauren, I'm seven too!" She beamed and casted her eyes on the book the girl was reading, putting her legs back down and swung it back and forth. "What is that you are reading?"

"Harry Potter!" Karla exclaimed with exuberance, her eyes wide as she picked up the object and showed the book cover to Lauren. The green eyed girl blinked and leaned in closer to read the title, her eyebrows scrunched up. "This is the first book. I finished all five books already, but I really like it so I want to read it again because It's.. Magical!"

"Wow." Lauren's eyebrows shot up in amazement. "I like magic."

"Me too! Do you want to read it?" Karla asked. Lauren bit her lip and nodded in uncertainty. "Then come here silly, you're too far." She giggled and patted the space beside her. Lauren scooted closer as Karla opened the book. The letters were smaller than the books she was used to reading, and the pages were a lot thicker. Lauren had to squint her eyes as the words got all jumbled up and it looked as if the words can never sit still on the pages of the book. She frowned.

"Uh... Karla?" The girl hummed and looked up at her. "I can't.. Read it." Her cheeks flushed red in embarrassment. This wasn't something new to her, Lauren just thought she was stupid or something. Now Karla might think she was a dunce too and then she'll lose her before she even get to call her a friend.