New acquaintances

In school I stopped Elena in the hallway. "Is everything all right between you and Stefan?"

"Of course, what do you mean?"

"I'm sorry for the intrusion, but I happened to hear you and Stefan in the parlour the other day. I did my best to give you privacy, but it sounded like you were having a row." She looked confused at me and then her eyes widened like she knew exactly what was going on. She just turned on her heel and left me standing there.

What was that about? Was they on the verge of breaking up or what the hell was happening? Elena was edgy, Stefan was apparently bad and Damon was according to his own words; not right for me either. Here was something going on that I knew nothing of. I had no idea as to where to start untangle it but I had to try; this seemed to get more complex every day.

At home was probably the first clue in this mystery and that's where I was heading when my Italian class was over that afternoon.

"Emilia!"

I had my hand on the door-handle of my car and turned my head towards the guy who had called my name. He had skinny black jeans that were too short and he had a v-neck tee with a blazer with the sleeves rolled up on top and he had a beanie over his long dark blond messy hair.

I looked a little surprised at him.

"You dropped your book on your way out of math-class." He said with a slightly shy smile and handed it over to me.

"Thanks'!"

"Cool car! It's a hybrid, right?"

"Thanks'; yeah it is. You know cars?"

"No, not really; I just wanted to impress you." He said with a sneaky smile, laughed a little and his brown eyes were glistening at me. "My sister wanted one of these."

I laughed a little back at him. He was really cute and I think I had noticed him in math, but I hadn't talked to him. "How did you know my name?" I asked suddenly.

"It was written in your book." He said and nodded towards the book, still in my hand. "I'm Mark by the way."

"Thank you Mark." I said and couldn't stop the smile on my face. "Can I give you a ride?"

"Sure, great!" He said and walked around my car and we got in. "Wow, it has a really big space in back. No problem to get a couple of guitars in."

I looked surprised at him. "Yes maybe I should get guitar lessons."

He laughed a little embarrassed. "Sorry... music nerd..." his eyes glittered in the most charming way.

How could I not have noticed this guy before?

"You don't seem to be like one of the cheerleaders or jocks you seem to be hanging with."

Once again I looked surprised at him. "Have you been checking up on me?" I did my best to sound flirty. He just shrugged his eyebrows and looked out the window, but a smile was lighting up his face.

We sat in silence till I had got out from the school parking lot and then I asked where he wanted to go. He instructed and I drove. "I thought you were this hard-core-punk-emo girl when you got here, but now you seem more like this cute indie-girl."

Did he say I was cute?

"You have been checking up on me!" I couldn't help but to feel flattered and the smile was impossible to keep in check.

"Yeah..." he admitted with a shy smile. "I was just waiting for Tyler to step aside. That's some scary dude..."

We laughed a bit.