Wake up call

Once again I woke up with Damon's arms around me; he was already awake when I started to move.

"Good morning." He said. I smiled, took his hand and nestled deeper into his arms; it felt amazing to wake up this morning.

"Mmm, you smell so good." He mumbled and sniffed the back of my neck where his face was. "AB positive..." He added and I flinched.

"What?!" I rolled away in an unbelievable speed and stared at him.

He chuckled. "Just because I'm not going to eat you, doesn't mean I can't saviour the aroma."

I kept staring at him.

"Get back here!" With a smile he pulled me closer to him again. I felt a little on edge, but he had been doing a lot more than savouring the aromas the night before; I had really had my guard down then and if he wanted to eat me, he could have.

I got warm just thinking about the night before and Damon chuckled at my body's reaction.

Why did I have to meet a guy who read me like this?

We didn't have all the time we wanted to stay in bed, but needed to get some breakfast down. It was time to pack the bags and leave our little love nest.

Before we headed for the airport, we took a cab to the warehouse were all my parents stuff was stored. We needed to bring our entire luggage with us, but Damon had no problem with the weight.

We found my locked storage room and hade been poking around in the boxes there for a while when Damon came across a wooden box I hadn't noticed before. The box puzzled me, it was bigger than a jewellery box, but smaller than a suitcase and it was locked. My companion had no problem to break the little lock though, when I asked him to.

Damon handed me the box and I opened it careful. Inside we found a cross and a bible, old journals, wooden stakes and a couple of small bottles, labelled 'Holy water', 'Aconitum' and 'Vervain'. My eyes got huge as I stared at the old items and then I slowly turned around to watch Damon. His face was rigid.

"My father knew about..." I couldn't say the word vampires. "He couldn't have... been... one?" I felt dizzy al of a sudden.

"No!" Damon said, shaking his head. "But he could have been a hunter."

"What?" I didn't understand. "People hunt vampires? Why?" I sounded more shocked than I felt, actually.

"Well... we hunt people..." Damon said with a shrug and the reality set in once again. It was easy to forget, or rather ignore the fact that he lived on human blood; perhaps it was too scary or too gross to think about.

Did he kill people?

I lost focus on the box and just stared at Damon.

"What did I say; did I remind you that I'm not human?" His voice was now sharp in a way I hadn't heard before, even if there was a smile on his face.

The situation started to give me the creeps.

Slowly he stepped closer to me; his eyes locked on mine with the same terrifying look. In a low voice he asked. "Now, can you tell me what made your heart beat in that mouth watering speed?"

I gulped.

When he got really close to me he tilted his head to the side; now my heart pounded like it was on its way out through the chest bone. I thought about backing away from him, but I couldn't move; all I did was widen my eyes.

"Now tell me, sweetie..." His voice was sweet and soft like silk and that was almost even worse than the threatening cold voice he had earlier.

I breathed shallow for a moment, and then I just said it. "Do you kill people?"