Fight back

We figured it was time for midterms in school, and we were just about to sign up for our last semester of high school, when word got to us that a hunting party was heading our way; spearheaded by no other than dear Mr. Hartford. There was not much to do than to gather all of our stuff, pay and compel our landlord to forget us and then get the hell out of dodge again.

We headed westwards and drove until nightfall, where we stopped at some sleazy motel and gathered to make plans.

Next day was like it had been before; we found our home away from home; packing, breakfast, driving, lunch, driving and ending up at another sleazy motel. After a few days I was so sick and tired of it, that I wanted to cry. It was obvious that we were all sick of it, we were snapping at each other and everything started to be an issue.

At the latest hiding hole, I was sitting in an armchair away from the others, contemplating life. It was all my fault, if I hadn't moved to Mystic Falls, the others wouldn't have to flee their homes. I felt sadness overcome me again and I tuned out the others in the room.

Tyler leaned in closer with a compassionate look in his eyes, a glass and a bottle of scotch. He poured me a drink. "Have at it," he said soft.

I felt a shiver up my arm and down my spine and with huge eyes I snapped out of my brooding with a gasp. "Klaus?" I breathed.

Tyler's brown eyes looked at me with a mixture of confusion and panic. He grabbed my arm and dragged me toward the door.

"We're just gonna get some more ice," he called out to the others, who hardly seem to notice us as we swiftly left. Well out of the door, his expression changed, his grip hardened and he almost dragged me along the floor to get farther away from the others.

"Are you really in there?" I hissed and then wanted to smack myself on the forehead. "How could that even be possible?" I scowled myself.

"Yes, I'm Klaus," he growled quiet. "What gave me away?"

I gawked at him, not able to believe what I had heard. "No wonder you felt like another man," I mumbled. "You are someone else." I was in total awe.

He studied me seriously and let go of my arm. "You seem to be the only one to get it," he said thoughtfully as we walked along the row of doors toward the ice-box.

"How can you be in there?" I hissed unable to comprehend and looking at him as if I would be able to see Klaus inside.

"You can't tell anyone," was the first thing he said and then he studied me intensely before he resigned with a sigh. "It was the little witch, Bonnie."

It felt weird to hear Klaus' British accent coming from Tyler's mouth.

"She casted a spell, enabling me to take Tyler's body when he died," he whispered to me for the vampires inside the room not to overhear this conversation.

"So Tyler really did die when Alaric took you down?" I hissed appalled.

He just nodded.

"But how have you been able to fool Caroline?"

He turned his gaze over to the door some hundred yards away, which held my dearest friends and frankly my entire life.

"Love changes us," he said soft and his entire face got soft. "I just tell her it's the broken sire bond that changed me when I get caught," he revealed with a crooked smile. "Or the fact that I died, that's also a good reason."

I looked at him in awe. "You love her," I said amazed even if he had said it himself just a minute ago. "But wouldn't it be better to let her know who you are?"