No turning back

When I woke up, my head hurt like it was about to explode, I realised that I was laying face down on a concrete floor and the room around me was pitch-black; I had no memory or recognition to where I was. I tried to move and realised that my headache originated from my neck and it took a lot of effort to get up in a seating position so I could look around.

Where was I?

It felt like I was supposed to know some vital information that was just outside my grip. I reached for my phone, but it wasn't in my pocket. My foot hurt and I leaned with my back against the wall. I was thinking of how the police would be coming to my rescue soon; how I'd be hearing sirens echoing over the neighbourhood and how they would be rushing in accompanied by the ambulance sirens.

Where was my phone, where was I and how had I got here in the first place? My head hurt, so it was hard to come up with any reasonable thought; harder yet to come up with a plan to get out.

After a while I got on my feet and limped toward the door, searching along the wall for the light switch. My hurt foot hit something on the floor and I tumbled and fell right on top of someone lying in the floor.

I heard a moan and everything came rushing back to me again.

"Damon?" I called and felt panicked up his body to find his face. "Damon, wake up!" He was lying as if he had been pushed forward and was now face down.

My heart started to beat again when I finally heard him groan.

"Damon!" I called again, panic rising.

"Emilia, are you okay," he whispered in a hoarse voice.

"Yes, but you're not," I cried. "What can I do to help you?"

"No," he groaned. "I need blood."

My head was racing; he had blood bags in his suitcase I was sure, but they were at the hotel room. It would take too long to get the subway or a cab to fetch it for him, I wouldn't be able to move him in this state and I would sure as hell not leave him alone here.

"Wait a minute." I fought to once again get on my feet and this time I managed to find the light switch.

The sight that caught my eyes war horrid; Damon was indeed laying face forward, he had been shot and a wooden stake was sticking out of his back. I gasped and when I sat down by his side again I saw my phone lying on the floor and with a sigh of relief I reached for it and dialled 911.

"What are you doing?!" Damon groaned.

"I'll fix this, I'm calling 911," I said just when they answered.

"No; you can't call 911 on a vampire!" he groaned and I looked surprised at him.

Oh yeah, he was of course right.

I apologised and ended the call. "Can I pull the stake out?"

"Yes please, but be careful; it's really close to the heart," he instructed and I was thorough in my way do as he said. The groaning yell he gave was like a nightmare and it looked like he passed out.

"Damon?" My voice revealed all the worry I felt. With some last ounce of strength he rolled over on his back with another groan.

I stroked his cheek. "Damon, what can I do?"

He smiled weak at me. "I'll be better, but it's gonna take a while; they had both wooden bullets and vervaine." His voice was weak and his breathing shallow.

"Is there something I can do?"

"No," he said and I saw him dig into his own chest with his fingers while groaning and pull a wooden bullet out.

Oh my God!

I thought I was going to throw up at the sight. He rested for a couple of minutes and then he was at it again with a pained face. I had to look the other way. With tears in my eyes I asked once more if there was something I could do to help him.

"I'll be better when we get back to the hotel and I can get some blood," he explained weakly. "I just hope they won't come back. I'd rather you get back now, I'll get there in an hour or so."

I had never seen him this weak before. "No, I will not leave you!"

"Yes love, please go," he begged.

That was out of the question!

Could I call Lisa? Well as soon as that thought came out I knew that was impossible. She would surely help us, but she couldn't know Damon was a vampire. What was I supposed to do? Think, think think!

That's when it hit me; off course!

"Here, drink my blood," I said and put my wrist up to his face.

"No! No, I can't; I might take too much," his voice was almost a whisper at the end of the sentence.

"You won't," I assured him.

"I can't." There was sadness in his eyes that had nothing to do with physical pain.

"You have to, we must hurry; they might come back."

He looked at me for a long time and his thoughts were easy to read: Are you really sure? I nodded slightly and he grabbed my wrist in his hands while slowly pulling it closer to his mouth. His face started to change into the fierce vampire's, but his eyes lever left mine.

I gasped from pain as his fangs slowly sank through the skin of my wrist but the pain subsided fast when he started to drink my blood. My heart rate went up and I remembered when the roles had been reversed; when I was the one drinking his blood. The same feeling was overpowering me as it did last time; I felt how my entire body was turned on and my breathing was getting fast. Suddenly I felt lightheaded and the room started ho spin.

Damon unlatched my arm and kissed me with a hunger that was devouring us both. It was amazing to see how much stronger he got from that blood of mine.

I on the other hand got weak. He caught me as I slumped back and pulled me into his arms. He got his phone and dialled.

"Hey Ric, I need your hot doctor-lady."

I watched him trough my half closed eyes, while he listened on the phone. "You know what; I don't care if you are 'Evilaric' or not, Emilia is sick and I need to speak to Doctor Fell."

They were apparently not together, because Damon ended the call and dialled again.

"Hi Meredith, it's Emilia she needs a doctor and I'm not sure I can just take her to the hospital, if you know what I mean."

My lids fell closed. His silence told me that he listened intensely. He was on the floor next to me and as I opened my eyes I noticed how he was studying me while answering questions.

"No her heart rate has gone down and she looks anaemic."

He listened again. "Yes, she has a bite on her wrist." I saw his guilty look when he admitted that vital information in a snarling tone of voice. She apparently instructed him or had some kind of solution to our precarious situation. "Okay... Thank you Meredith." I don't think I had heard him talk to anyone with that much respect before; not even the Big Bad.

I had his full attention the minute he ended the phone-call. "How are you holding up?"

I smiled weakly to him. "I'm okay, how are you; are your wounds healing?"

"Yes," he said irritated. "Doctor Fell's calling some doctor friend of hers to come see you," he explained.

"That's okay; I can wait till we get back home," I murmured and he got quiet while he watched me with pain in his eyes.

"You don't get it; we can't go back."

.