Out in the open

"It's so good that the elephant is out of the bag..." This was two days later and Damon strolled into my room as I laid and read in bed after school; a day that had been really shitty.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, now you know that we're vampires," he said and plopped down beside me on the bed.

"There are no such things as vampires!"

"Oh..." He started to laugh. "You know, it's for real..." He said in his flirting way with one of the eyebrows raised.

"No, there is no such thing!" I was determined to stay in ignorance.

"Keep telling yourself that and it might be true..." he mused and left me laying there.

It took me about half an hour till I had to get downstairs and talk to him.

"Vampires?!" I just spat out.

"I know both Stefan and I have told you before; perhaps not so clear, but..."

I sat down on the couch in the parlour with my arms and legs crossed and a defiant expression on my face, and Damon sat down in the other. He had his usual smirk on his face and he was looking as good as usual. My heart started pumping wild, but I did my best to ignore it.

"So... you were saying...?" I said tart and glared at him.

"I'm a vampire."

I looked defiantly at him for a while. "Prove it!"

His eyebrows flew up. "You want me to prove it?" He laughed.

"Yes, turn into a bat or something!" I snarled.

He laughed. "Sorry, I'm just a vampire, not a freak..."

I kept looking intently at him, trying to figure the puzzle out, even if it was solved already. This couldn't be the truth; vampires only existed in book and movies, like Twilight.

"So, why don't you sparkle, like on Twilight?"

"Because I live in the real world, where vampires burn in the sun..." he said a bit sourly.

I nodded thoughtful. "Wait a minute, you go in the sun!"

He wiggled his fingers. "Magic ring; protects me..." he said in a flat tone.

I sighed and shook my head. "Are my questions boring you?"

He smiled and chuckled a bit. "No, but in one and a half century I have tried to explain it one or two times."

I thought for a while, and then I said "So... is this something you tell all the girls?"

"No!" he said with vigour. "That's not public knowledge." He said and his serious expression made sure I understood the urgency of it. "Besides if everyone knew; who would I eat?"

I was just eyeballing him even if I heard the sarcastic mocking tone in his voice. What was the reality in all of this twilight-fantasy; did he really go around killing people, drinking blood?

"So what's the reality of this weird stuff then? Holy water, burn-marks from crosses and garlic-repellent; stakes through the heart?" I was still eyeballing him with a doubtful look.

"You have been watching too much TV! Buffy the vampire-slayer?" he asked and I rolled my eyes as a validation. "Of course I eat garlic!"

"Well I don't like garlic."

"Girl, you're Italian; your mother would be ashamed of you if she knew." He rebuked me, but with a smile in the corner of his mouth. "I don't wear crosses because I'm not that a religious guy; it's not because they burn me."