The truth hurts

We went to the Grill for dinner the next day; I still had bandages on my hand and Damon offered to cut my meat in tiny pieces for me to eat.

"That is so sweet." Lisa smiled at us with a goofy looking expression on her face.

"Don't mock me! I may be dashingly handsome, hot and sexy, but don't call me sweet!" His voice sounded intimidating but Lisa just laughed.

"You are all that, man, but you're sweet as well."

"Now you're just mean!"

Lisa and I laughed at his pouting.

"I promise we won't tell anyone." I whispered and got a kiss and a smile from him, but he put up a warning finger to Lisa. All we could do was giggle.

"Does it hurt a lot?" Lisa sounded really concerned of my hand.

"No, not too much, I think those herbs are really working." I lied and gave Damon a look.

"Yes, Bonnie's really good with the plants..."

"I think I want to get me some of those herbs." Lisa mumbled and Damon and I shared another look.

How was I supposed to find some fake herbs for her? Preferable not poisonous. Then I got an idea. "Yeah, I'll call her." I needed some time alone when we got home to perfect this illusion.

When we got home, I went to the kitchen with some poor excuse while the others went upstairs. Lisa and Damon met me in the parlour and I handed her a small glass jar with herbs.

"Is that...?" Lisa said and Damon gave me a questioning look.

"Yeah, Bonnie will fix some more herbs for me so, here you go." I said and couldn't risk meeting Damon's eyes as I lied for my friend.

Lisa turned to put the jar in her room and Damon gave me another questioning look.

"Tea-leaves." I whispered under my breath and saw him crack a smile, which I of course answered with a conspiratorial smile of my own.

* * * * *

Damon and I had still our own separate bedrooms, but we spent most nights together in either his or my room. I was on my way to his room when I stopped just outside his door; he was not alone.

At first I thought it was Elena, because that's what it sounded like. "She can't know you like I do?" She said sly. "I learned a long time ago how you wanted things."

"I'm not the same, Katherine. You don't know me at all."

"Yeah you've changed; you're meaner now. I like it!" I saw her close in on him in a seductive way. "You should go for someone a little more durable."

He just shoved her away. "I've already said; you just don't do it for me anymore."

I couldn't see her pout, but I could hear it in her voice. "She can never understand you like I do."

"Emilia is an amazing girl."

"Yes, but she's just a girl! She is supposed to meet a guy eventually, get married and have kids. Are you ready to ruin that life for her?"

Damon was quiet.

"You never thought about that, did you?" I could hear the smugness in her voice.

I snuck out of there, thinking about if I could tell him that I knew. How would he react to my eavesdropping?

Our relationship got tense over the following days; we seemed to be walking on eggshells around one another and I knew it had everything to do with Katherine and his conversation. I couldn't force myself to tell him I knew about it, so I ended up spending more and more time without him.