Date night

Before school was out that Friday, Mark came up to me and told me where the bar was and how I would find my way there. He would unfortunately have to go there ahead with the band and would meet me there, but I said that was okay; that actually gave me a door out if this turned out to be a total catastrophe.

The bar was fairly easy to find with Mark's directions and with the GPS in my car. It was a nice bar with a lot of young people, but even a few middle aged; everybody seemed to get along and had fun together.

Mark came and greeted me when I arrived. "Hi Emilia, sweet of you to come."

"I'm looking forward to it. Are you nervous?" I asked, but then thought about it. "Maybe you have done this a lot and are really skilled." I apologized.

Mark laughed. "No, it's a little nervous." He admitted. "Can I buy you something to drink, we're about to go on stage."

"Oh, I'm fine! Good luck... I mean 'Break a leg, or whatever you're supposed to say.'" I smiled at him and he leaned in and gave me a kiss on the cheek and then he left me there.

Wow, are we already on the kiss on the cheek-stadia? I thought, but said nothing. I took my leather jacket off, smoothened my black jeans and then I sat down on a stool by the bar where I got a Mountain Dew to drink.

The band played covers from several of my favourite bands, like the Black Keys and Foster the People and they were really good at it. Most of the people in the bar were up dancing or clapping their hands and the ambiance were on top; you couldn't help but to be in good mood.

I was really surprised by how good they actually were! Mark played the guitar and sang backup, while there was a guy I'd never seen on the drums, one guy from school by the keyboard and a girl on bass and lyrics.

A smile broke out on my face when Mark and the keyboard-guy sang the lyrics to 'Aint no rest for the wicked' with Cage the Elephant, and I couldn't stop thinking about how wicked he really would turn out as I got to know him a little bit better.

I suddenly got a weird feeling that somebody was watching me during this gig and I started to look around me if there were someone I recognise, like somebody in school, but I saw none and I focused on the band on stage instead. 

The girl with the bass had a little hoarse voice with a tone that fit perfectly when they played 'Rumour has it' with Adele and she did really justice to Florence and the Machine when she performed their 'Cosmic Love'. People were up dancing and cheering them on, in a way that was obvious that they liked what they did on stage. They were up there for about an hour and after them some other band was on and Mark came and joined me with a hug at the bar.

"Wow, you're really good; I'm impressed!" I said with a big smile and a laugh.

"Thank you." He said a bit shy.    

"And you have such a nice voice!" I kept rambling, making Mark laugh. The other band members came and joined us by the bar and I got to meet them all. Amber on bass, Jason on drums and the guy on keyboard who I had recognized from school was Mark's friend Kevin.

Jason was two year older than the other, and Kevin's big brother; and I got a feeling that he was in there to get close to Amber. She was a really funny girl with a sarcasm to match my own; my kind of girl.

"So, what do you do for fun?" Amber asked to get to know me.

"I love to listen to some really good bands... Do you know where I can find any?" I knew it was a risk, but when they all just burst out laughing and I got a few backslaps, I think my sarcasm was once again the key in getting me accepted in a new group of people.