Revelations of the past

From the wooden box that I kept in my room, I took the first one of the old journals and walked downstairs. In the parlour I sat down in one of the couches by the big fireplace. It was dark out and a fire was burning with the comfy crackling sound. The setting was perfect in this room with all the old artefacts. I opened the ancient book in my hand and started to read the swirly handwriting.

"The ship ride lasted forever, and even if most of us were experienced sailors, this was the worst overpass in our lives. None of us had ever been on a ship for this long, and many had warned us that this was an impossible journey. The stench was horrid and a lot of people got sick and died without ever having reached the Promised Land."

He had many detailed descriptions of the life onboard that I almost flinched just reading about. I flipped a section to read about after he had reached the destination he aimed for.

"We found the perfect place for our little settlement, it is a little meadow with a creak running though, the soil seems fertile and there is a slope to build this little vineyard of ours. The place I have decided to put my house on is the best, just a little above the creek, so it will keep dry during the spring flood, and in the evening sun."

At the beginning it had been hard work but they seemed positive and life was getting better and better, with the few people settling down and building some sort of life here in this country. I couldn't really figure out exactly where they did build their community, but my curiosity peaked. My ancestor; or at least I thought the writer was my ancestor on my father's side, had brought a couple of wine-plants with him from Italy and had worked hard both to keep them hidden and of course to keep them alive during the long ship ride.

He wrote about the many French people in the area and I thought that maybe I could check out where some of the bigger French colonies were during this time. It was fascinating to read about their struggle to build themselves a new future. In some way it reminded me of my own ordeal to build my future. Although they didn't have a couple of wanna-be brothers that helped them...

I flipped a good bit forward, almost to the end and now the tone was completely different.

"I thought the beasts from our old country would not haunt this place, but last night I saw two of them. They talked to each other as if they were brothers; one dark blond and the other one with hair dark as the night. I hid behind a couple of bushes and saw them attack an innocent woman. The dark one looked her in the eyes and it was as if she could not move, then they both got a good bite of her neck and didn't stop savouring her until she slumped to the ground. I was horrified, but couldn't do anything more than stay still as a rock."

My heart was beating hard when I read these horrific stories, and I thought of the dark blond and the black haired brothers living in the house with me. The journal had several stories about the brothers, but it made me sick just reading about them.

"What's the matter?" Damon came walking in the room and plopped down on the couch beside me. I closed the journal and felt my eyes flicker a bit when I looked at him.

He reached for the journal and even though I didn't want him to read it, I didn't seem to have enough energy to take it from him. He opened it and read the words that had just moments ago upset me. I could see him frown.

"Stefan; get your ass down here!" he yelled throughout the house.

"When was this?" he said and thumbed back. "Could it be..." he broke off.

His brother was quick to get down and Damon roughly pressed the opened journal into his chest. Stefan opened it and had about the same reaction as his brother.