Off to college

Having my heart ripped out from my chest twice from the same guy, wasn't an experience I wanted and I did my best to keep a brave face. Last time we had a... disagreement, I got incredibly hurt and sad; this time I got pissed.

I would not let this ruin my college experience.

That was at least what I tried to fool myself; after all I had fooled myself into being a vampire for crying out loud.

Before we arrived at our new home we had already got our rooms on east campus; where apparently all freshmen lived. Elena and Stefan had got themselves a room in a coed building and Caroline bunked up with Bonnie, which left me the odd one out. Yay, as if my life wasn't twisted and hurtful enough at the time.

It was the day before we were going and everything was packed. I was glad to see Lisa's name on the display of my phone. "Hey Lisa, mi amigo!" I cheered.

"I got in!"

"In? You were out?" I teased her, not really knowing what she was talking about.

"Duke! I got in to Duke!" She yelled. "We always talked about going, totally ditching this crew."

"Yeah, that's right." I had totally forgotten that with all the drama going on in the last... well almost the last year. And then I realized. "Duke? I got in to Duke!" I yelled.

"Yay! Together again!" Lisa yelled. "We have to get a room together!"

"Yes..." I said thoughtful. I hadn't thought about that, I could live with Lisa, my best friend. "Yes, you're right; of course we have to live together!" My voice got more and more cheerful. She was really a life savior.

"Finally we're gonna live together!" I shrieked and we both laughed.

We drove up there on Sunday and was properly settled in when school started on Monday. I was so glad to be living with Lisa; she was a huge part of my life before things got totally out of hand.

We were walking up to the huge chapel and I was really amazed by the massive building.

"It looks like something from Lord of the rings." I hissed to Lisa and she chuckled.

During the safety walk-trough, there were a few instructions that amused or disturbed us the most. It was the; "Do not walk alone at night!" And the;"Avoid the dimly lit areas." I exchanged looks with Elena and Caroline and we smiled secretly at each other. They forgot the; "Beware of the vampires!" instruction which should have been the most important one.

* * * * *

We had been shopping books and Elena and Stefan had bought computers and were now sitting in a coffee shop at Bryan centre, just talking. I was lucky to have a fairly new laptop since the bed incident where Damon slammed mine in the floor and had to buy me a new one.

"There's a lot of cultural groups here, but why not a group for vampires?" Caroline stated. "Isn't that discrimination?"

"What do you think they would say in the administration office if we filed a complaint?" I giggled, making Elena glare at me.

I saw Lisa walking up to us and I quickly changed topic. "Hey Lisa, what do you think about Stefan joining the Blue Devils footballer?"

"There are footballers here?" She asked and we all laughed; she was really not into jocks, I can tell you.

"Lisa I think they have almost 40 sport clubs in this collage."

"38." Stefan corrected.

Of course he would know, he had probably attended this school a couple of times before and then he had a perfect memory, he remembered everything. Frankly, it was irritating, but you knew who to sneak a peak at if you ever needed to cheat.

The days became weeks in an astounding speed and soon we were feeling like home on campus. We knew where all of our classrooms were and we had no trouble to take the bus downtown for some shopping. Same company as always; me, Lisa and her credit card.

One night there was a phone call from a number I didn't know, and first I planned not to answer it, but then I tapped the answer button.

"This is Emilia."

There was nobody on the other line.

"Hello..." I tried that a few times, but there was still no answer and that's when it hit me. "Damon?" I whispered. "If that's you, then please come back..."

There was still no answer, and then I heard a click when he ended the call.

It was hard to sleep that night how much I concentrated; there was no chance at keeping my eyes from flooding. The morning after Lisa had to wake me up and when I watched the alarm, I summed up the sleep to one and a half hour.

Oh, this was going to be a fun day!

The late night phone call was bugging me and I just had to ask Stefan when I got him alone for once. "Stefan, have you heard from Damon?" I tried my best to sound indifferent, but who was I trying to fool?

He looked up at me with a troubled mind. "No, I'm sorry Em', I haven't."

I faked a shrug. "I just wanted to know he's okay, that's all." I said and walked out on him.

During the lectures that day it was hard to stay awake, and I should probably just have stayed home; but who would distract me when I was alone.

I promised myself I would not cry over Damon; at least not while anyone was looking, but at night time it was hard. I had to try really hard! Repressing all thoughts about him during the days, only made me dream about him almost every night.