Blessed

After having done some serious research, we took the journals with us, the box and everything we found out, and headed on a wild goose chase to see if we could find the location where Giorgio and Aisha had started their lives here in the Promised Land.

After thoroughly checking the map we took off to find the Clear Creek from my journals. Finally we found a small winding road in the forest. After driving there for a while, it became impossible to go much further by car, so we parked and continued by foot.

We had the ring with us, but I was too scared to touch it, so Damon held on to it.

There was a weak humming sound that seemed to get stronger, the further into the forest we got. I had never felt like or heard anything like that before and when I asked Damon; he could hear it as well.

He told me he had heard water for a while and I was once again amazed by his vampire hearing, and just a little envious. That was another thing on the plus of being a vampire and I wondered again how Damon would react if I asked him to turn me.

Perhaps this wasn't the time either, when we had been forced to leave our home due to a crazy hunter.

Oh well...

The small meandering trail came up to a creek and kept going along it; we followed it as the sun was about to set.

I started to feel something pulling me closer and I picked up the pace. It felt familiar in some strange way, like I would be able to find my way even without Damon's tracking abilities. There was a weird feeling like I was on my way home.

Between the trees we could now see a clearing with some residues of old houses, but something urged me to continue forward.

Finally we ended up in front of a ruin of a small house and I stopped. Instinctively I knew that this was what I had been searching for, perhaps even urging to find ever since I read the old journals for the first time.

How on earth could I know so clear that this was the right place?

I was blown away.

"This is it?" Damon asked, totally unnecessary.

"Yes; this is where my ancestors lived." I breathed. "How can I know that?"

We could see foundations from several minor buildings as we walked around there, and Damon seemed to be just as amazed as I was. The nature had of course changed since the fourteen- fifteen-hundreds, but as for now it was an absolutely beautiful place and I could feel that this was where I would want to start a new life.

Some urge, made me walk up to Damon and bravely ask for the ring. We looked at each other and we seemed to be pondering if the same thing would happen again.

"I'll take it if you black out again." He promised seriously and handed me the ring.

My hand trembled as I reached for it. This time it didn't hit me like a strike of lightning, but more like a sense of salvation. I breathed in sharply, put it on my finger and it felt like something was summoning me, calling me to it.

In a daze, I took Damon's hand smiling, while he watched me intensely with furrowed eyebrows and a puzzled look. I felt like a totally different person, and yet, just the same.

I led the way beyond the houses and further along the creek; it felt like I had walked there a thousand times. We walked for a couple of hundred yards; it was a little hard to know the distance along this meandering path.

With confidence I smiled beamingly at him, feeling like someone on a secret rendezvous, hiding from her parents with the love of her life.

I let my free hand stroke the tips of the high withering grass that grew on both sides of our path, feeling like a little child; like this was happening in some twilight reality, not here and now. I might as well be wearing a long dress, which I had made myself out of wool from the sheep on our farm some two hundreds year ago.