Out of Dodge

When we got downstairs the next day, Elijah was sitting in the parlour. We were a bit startled, but he apologised and explained his presence. "My sources are telling me you are in danger."

We looked at him with baffled faces. "What?"

"I'd get out of town for a while if I were you." He looked directly at me. "Your father's friend is on the prowl; he is gathering his forces." Elijah explained, and kept telling us what he had found out.

That day we took his advice; Stefan and Elena, Damon and I decided we needed to take precautions.

When I got a few bags packed with necessities for a couple of weeks and headed out the front door, Damon met me. He ridded me from my heavy load and carried it to a black car, a Ferrari.

"What is this?" I wondered.

"You like it? It's my getaway car." Even if I hadn't seen his face I would know there was a smirk on his face; the pride shined through in his voice.

I looked it over with an appreciative look. "I love it, but there's not so much cargo-area." I complained.

"You only need a couple of underwear and a toothbrush." he teased me due to my several bags. "And if you want to skip the underwear, that's okay." A glib smile graced his face. I ignored that.

"And my wooden box!"

"Of course, we can't leave behind the thing they are after."

"Are you all set?" Stefan and Elena joined us by Damon's car; they had just finished loading their stuff in Stefan's car.

"Are you okay Elena?" I asked, since she seemed a little on edge.

"Yeah, I'll be fine." she assured us. "I have Stefan to help me through this."

"Good!"

"Okay, you start and we follow." Stefan said.

"Yeah, and try not to fall too far behind." Damon teased his brother just before we got into our cars and took off.

We had discussed where we should go and decided that since my father, the notorious hunter had been north when he got killed, our chances to go free from the hunt would increase if we headed south.

Mystic Falls had a warmer winter than I was used to from my former home, but as we drove more south it seemed the weather got more and more bareable.

It was probably wishful thinking.

We got our first break after a couple of hours of driving. We pulled up to a diner and stepped inside to an almost empty place.

"So, what do you want?"

"Well..." they said.

That's when I first truly realized. "My God; I'm the only human in this group now."

They hushed me and smiled.

"That's no problem; I can turn you here and now if you like." Damon offered and the other two got all upset as usual.

"Damon, stop saying that!"

"Elena!" he sighed. "You're so boring now; where's your sense of humour?"

I was actually a bit surprised by his reaction, knowing the feelings they had shared in their past.

"I thought you'd be more like Katherine." He muttered.

She got pissed in an instant. "It's more important than ever to keep my humanity." She hissed and Stefan agreed.

A waitress came up to our booth and wanted to take our order. We ordered some burgers or egg and bacon and she left so we could speak more freely again.