Tracking

Elena and Bonnie had talked about Professor Shane who was interested in paranormal activities. But it was Vanessa Monroe, apparently Elena's late mother's research assistant I was looking for.

I walked into the dark paneled foyer and was greeted by a beautiful woman, just a few years older than myself.

"Hi, are you Emilia? I'm Vanessa." she said and offered her hand. "Elena told me about you." Her look told me she knew about Damon's and mine relationship, or at least Elena's side of the story.

"So...how good are you at tracking vampires down?" I asked with a dry chuckle.

"Damon Salvatore?"

"Yeah." I shrugged my eyebrows.

"I'm a historian, so all I'm good at is finding where he was in the past. I'm not good at finding him now...no matter how good looking he is..." She added darkly.

I was surprised. "You've met him." I stated.

"Yeah, he didn't like me much after I shot him in the back with an arrow..."

My mouth fell open, but I recovered. "What did he do?" I asked, knowing very well the possibility that he caused it himself.

She told the story how she had freaked over seeing Katherine Pierce and Damon Salvatore who was supposedly dead in 1864. That had been in her own words "way too freaky" and she had gone in there with a bow aimed at who she thought was Katherine.

"Only it wasn't Katherine, it was Elena; and Damon threw himself in front of her otherwise I would have killed her for real." She had a really guilty look.

"Wow!" was all I could say.

"Elena wanted to know about doppelgangers." Vanessa revealed. "I told her what I know, that doppelgangers torment and try to undo the lives of the people they look like."

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, you could say that... That bitch wants to destroy the lives of pretty much everybody..." I muttered tart.

"Really? You've met her?" Vanessa was curious.

"Yeah I've met her, she managed to break Damon and me up last time, and I bet she has a finger in on it this time as well..." I muttered to myself.

Vanessa had the decency not to comment on that.

"In the fifties women was just on the verge to pursue a career, as secretaries." Vanessa rolled her eyes. "Not a great deal to choose from back when. " She handed me a photo and I just stared at the black and white photo before me; the man with sideburns and his hair slicked back with grease was definitely Damon. He had his arms wrapped around two girls in wide poodle skirts and tops each with a scarf around their neck.

"I bet that's just a fashion accessory..." I muttered, wanting to punch the bastard as soon as I found him. Hopefully I would find him.

"Can I borrow this?"

"No, I'm sorry; it can't leave this collection, but I can make you a copy." Vanessa said took it from my hand and walked out the door for a moment. I found another photo of him, one when he was really young, in his human days and quickly I slid it in my bag just before Vanessa came back with a copy of the other photo for me. That was when yet another photo caught my eye and I wondered what it did in his file.

"Why do you have a photo of Marilyn Monroe here?"

Vanessa smiled a bit quizzically. "Who's hiding in the backseat?" Her smirk widened as I looked closer at the photo.

"My God!" I exclaimed as I realized; that was Damon's smirk.

When somebody said something about him having a lot of women in the past, they weren't exaggerating and I felt jealousy erupt from me like a volcano.