Family gathering

Elena and I started to decorate the Christmas tree as soon as the guys arrived with it. We had become close over the months and I was really glad that I had her; I think she felt the same about me.

Christmas in Mystic Falls was nothing like Christmas past. My dad and I used to celebrate alone, or sometimes we went to some soup-kitchen and helped out people that were less fortunate than us.

This year Stefan, Elena, Damon and I celebrated at the Boarding house. Elena's brother Jeremy had recently moved back from Boston and it was really nice to meet him; he seemed like a sweet guy who had studied hard in school, but missed Elena and their friends too much.

Alaric came over since he didn't seem to have anywhere to go. The potential girlfriend, also known as "Hot doctor-lady" was spending the holiday with her family.

Bonnie was supposed to celebrate with her mother, so we only met her on Christmas Eve, and then she left. There was some tension between her and Jeremy; which I found out later was due to their previous relationship. Everybody seemed to have been through drama, perhaps that was the reason we stuck together.

Matt showed up as well; he had apparently not really a family either since Damon killed his sister. No wait; Damon had killed and turned her and then Stefan had killed her later.

What a loving family I had.

It turned out to be a very nice celebration. We all helped out with roasting a turkey and Christmas ham and doing mashed potato while sipping hot apple cider. We did a few fudges and of course Italian Panforte for dessert.

When it was time to chew it down we had even made some jambalaya and I think we even invented some new dishes that was never seen or tasted before.

I had a semi-private moment with Alaric where I couldn't help but to ask. "You're a vampire hunter? How can you be friends with Damon?" I didn't get it. "How come you haven't killed him, or Stefan?"

"He tried once." Damon walked into the kitchen right then.

"Well you killed me!"

"Yeah, yeah... been there, done that," Damon murmured.

Jeremy walked past and we had to leave the conversation for a while, since Elena had asked us not to discuss too much vampire-business in front of her brother. He had apparently been compelled to forget; I wasn't sure how that thing really worked, but I respected her wish.

"But... You died but you're not a vampire?" I really didn't get it.

"I had nothing to do with that!" Damon objected. "I offered to snap his neck, but NO... I was voted down!"

"I had this ring, that made me survive any supernatural things; like death from a vampire," he said in a bored tone with a shrug of the eyebrows.

"You mean like this one?" Jeremy asked and wiggled his hand with a big silver ring on it.

"Yeah, you should definitely take it off." Alaric said with another shrug of the eyebrows. "Before it turns you into a psychotic serial-killer." His tone was definitely bitter.

"Hey, none of that crazy talk here, not today." Elena called. "Come on Jer' they're just being jack-asses." She took her brother to help her set the table.

Alaric and Damon told me little discreetly the story of what had happened when he had decided to die and despite that had been turned into what Damon called 'Evilaric'.

I offered to help with the table and when I walked out there; Stefan was already putting a tablecloth on. When we were done it was a really beautiful setting and we started to bring in the food.