Hurt

"Ariel, honey are you awake?" I heard Colby's voice over me but I could hardly open my eyes.

I pushed as hard as I could to get my eyes to open and after what seemed like hours of struggling they finally cracked open. As they adjusted to the light I was able to open them more to see that I was in a hospital room. I tried to open my mouth to speak but no words would come out.

I had so many questions but everytime I tried to ask one I was met with nothing but silence. Why am I here? Is the baby okay? Am I okay? Did my sugar crash again? Why isn't Colby saying anything to me? He's staring right at me so he obviously knows that I am awake... why isn't he saying anything?! I opened my mouth to speak again and I heard words starting to squeak out.

"Colby, what's going on? Why aren't you talking to me? What happened? Am I okay? Is the baby okay?" It all came out so rushed, I honestly didn't think he understood a word I said.

"Ariel, sweetie, I'm so sorry..." He trailed off and stared down at the floor.

"Sorry? What? Why sorry? What happened... FUCKING ANSWER ME. I DESERVE AN ANSWER AT THE-" Colby continued staring at the floor as my screaming was cut off by an incoming doctor.

"Hello Ms. Simmons, I don't know if your fiance has told you yet but I am very sorry for what I am about to say; you've had a miscarriage. Tests have concluded that it was not through any fault of your own. Sometimes these things just happen. Sadly, this time they have happened to you and Mr. Lopez. I'm so sorry. We will be asking that you stay in the hospital at least one more day to monitor your status. The incident seems to have hit your body very hard and we just want to make sure you're one-hundred percent okay before we send you on your way. Do you have any questions?"

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Of course I had questions, I was just told that I lost my child. Nothing is ever going to be the same for me again. I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes as I turned to the doctor and shook my head no.

"If any questions do arise please call a nurse or try to reach me directly. I'm happy to help in such a sad time. I will be in later to check on you."

Without another word the doctor turned and left my room. I looked up to see Colby staring at me, his eyes teary but he wasn't quite crying. I imagine he learned before I did and so he's had more time to process. I couldn't help the tears now streaming down my face, pooling under my chin soaking the neckline of my hospital gown. Colby took a step toward the bed and leaned over to hug me while I sobbed into his shoulder.

"I'm so sorry Colby, I don't know what I did wrong. I'm so sorry I lost our baby. I'm so so sorry." The words started to come out like blurring sobs before I started to cry even harder.

Here my life was just beginning. A great job, a great man, soon to be married, a baby on the way even. Yet, just as soon as it had all fallen into place it seems to have just shattered right before my eyes.

"Ariel, you don't have to apologize to me. It just wasn't meant to be is all. I know this is hard and you're hurting a lot right now. I am too, we were both so excited. However, this wasn't your fault and I won't let you blame yourself for it. I don't blame you, the doctors don't blame you, and no one ever will. You did everything you were supposed to right from the start."

He tried to soothe me but the tears just kept flowing. I can't believe this had happened to me. I nudged Colby to the side so I could bring my hand up in an attempt to wipe the tears from my face. I've only been awake for half an hour and it has already been the worst day of my life. There is no coming back from this.

xxxxxxxx

Hey all, I know this is rather short and I haven't written in like a year. There's been a lot going on in my life these days. I finally have regained the courage and will to write. I hope y'all enjoy the chapter and continue reading. Thank you so much.

xxxxxxxx