Make Up

I opened the door to see Colby standing in the doorway with cookie dough ice cream in one hand and a small bouquet of roses in the other.

"These are for you Princess." He said using my childhood nickname as if everything were fine. It made me slightly angry but I decided to hold back my criticisms in light of how nice he was being.

"Thank you." I said quietly taking the roses from his hand. "You may come in." I said walking towards the kitchenette to get a cup to put the roses in water.

Colby followed behind me placing the ice cream on the table in the room.

"I didn't get bowls or spoons and I probably should have. Do you have any here?" He asked quietly as if he were afraid to speak.

"Yes. They're up in the cabinet. Do you think we're animals?" I half heartedly joked.

He chuckled a bit but I knew I wasn't going to get much out of him with things going the way they were right now.

"Ariel." He started to say something but then he trailed off looking down at the floor.

"Yes Colby?" I asked staring into his eyes prompting him to continue.

"How many scoops do you want?" He asked. I knew that wasn't what he originally intended on saying but I let that go too. For me tonight was about forgiveness as long as everything went correctly.

"I'll take a few. I really didn't like the food at the awards tonight so I'm really hungry." I responded.

"So you think ice cream is a good way to fill yourself up?" Colby asked attempting a joke. I looked at him with a warning look and the mild smile that had grown across his face faltered but didn't go away.

"You can't blame a girl for wanting ice cream Colby. It's a comfort food." I responded without hesitation.

"And what do you need comforting from Ariel?" He asked almost as if he were prompting me to start this conversation off. Even though he was supposed to be the one apologizing.

"Well, I don't know maybe it's the fact that my boyfriend left me because he thinks I was trying to get on with some psycho path." I responded with a hint of annoyance in my voice.

"Ariel," He started taking a breath. "I never meant to flip out on you like that." He said. I began to open my mouth to speak but he cut me off. "I know you're going to say too bad because I did it no matter what my original intentions were. But, I just wanted to tell you if I could take that whole night back I would. I've been a wreck for the past few days. All I have been able to think about is you and if you're okay. I've been texting April every day checking up on you because I know that you wouldn't have responded to me. She showed me the texts from Randy when I came in the other day. I don't know if you were awake or not but I came by to drop off your stuff and she nearly jumped down my throat about it. If I would have had even a hint, clue, or idea about what Randy was doing to you I would have stopped it. I didn't know the situation you were put in and I am so sorry you had to go through that. I wish I could have protected you rather than flipping out on you, but you know me. When I get really angry I just take off and it's hard to get me to stop once I've started." He stopped for a second as if he were contemplating what to say next. I opened my mouth to speak again but he cut me off for the second time.