Storyline

I woke up the next morning around 10:00 which was something very good for me considering I would usually sleep till around 2:30 in the afternoon. I got out of bed and went downstairs after doing my morning wake-up routine. There was a note on the kitchen island that mom was already out to work and that she would see me at Raw tonight. Like the proud mommies they are, Colby and I's mothers both had purchased tickets for tonight.

I grabbed a quick breakfast and then decided how I was going to spend my day. Cleaning. Well until raw that is. My mom usually kept things as clean as she found necessary but in my eyes that wasn't enough. I happened to be a bit of a neat freak while growing up and the habit never really went way.

My mom had this awesome sound system that would play throughout the entire house if you hooked your phone up to the bluetooth, which I did immidiately because what is cleaning without music? The most boring thing ever. I started in the kitchen, putting all the dishes in the dishwasher, sweeping, dusting, organizing the refrigerator. I then moved on to the bathrooms and made sure everything was in ship shape. I made mine and my mothers' beds and then went in the living room to dust.

I was almost done when I found an untitled case. I picked it up out of curiosity and opened it. There was a disk inside labeled 'Ariel and Colby'. I got really confused so I turned my music off and put the dvd in our blu-ray player. The disk had a bunch of old home videos of Colby and I acting like losers, but as the video progressed I saw the way we were change. Not in a bad way, I saw us happen.

We went from being a little nine year old girl and a twelve year old boy running around playing catch in the yard with a football, to being a 16 year old boy and a 13 year old girl watching my favorite movie with him making fun of me the whole time. But then, I was 15 and I constantly looked sad. He kept trying to make me smile but nothing he did worked.

Suddenly I was 16 and he was 19 and the whole scene had changed. I was still sad and he was still trying to fix me but he looked at me with a different gleam in his eye and I had a new brightness to my smile when he actually managed to bring it out. The videos from that time period showed us close having silent conversations. He was trying to make me better. Then suddenly he was 21 and it was my 17th birthday, we were sitting at the kitchen table with our mom's and after I blew out the candles he held me close and kissed me, he pulled out a little jewelry box that held my beautiful necklace. We were five months in to our relationship when this video was taken. I was the happiest I had been in forever. A video from the next year. Exactly a year actually showed an even happier couple, me sitting on his lap with his arms wrapped around my waist blowing out the candles on my 18th birthday cake.

The last video in the set was from the year after that. June 13th, 2010. There was a distance between Colby and I not seen by the naked eye. We seemed happy but the gleam in his eye was fading, a new gleam had taken it's place. The gleam of success. I was still smiling but it was faked. I could sense the change in him. But my party still went on like the two years before. The video showed me blowing out my candles and kissing him just like the last two but there were no giggles, no jokes, there was no flirtation. Everything had changed.

After that video had finished the screen cut to black. It was over just like he and I were. I sat there on my couch for a while with tears streaming down my cheeks. The evolution of Colby and I. I realized in that moment how much I really had loved him, I realized then that the end was coming before Colby told me it was coming. I don't know how I didn't see it when we were younger. It killed me to see us go from innocent kids to the edge of goodbye.