Rainy Day News

The sky threatens to open up with rain causing me to sigh

The sky threatens to open up with rain causing me to sigh. The nurse looks up at me. "Elphaba, are you okay?' She asks hearing me sigh. "Yeah." I mumble. "It just looks as if it's going to rain today." She glances out the window and nods. "I do believe you are correct. I guess that means you will be staying in then." It wasn't a question and I knew that. I also knew she knew I would be grumpy because of it. "I think I'm going to read or something." I say as starting back towards my door, and just as I was about to leave the room there was a knock on the door.

"Now I wonder who that could be?" The nurse says. "Elphaba, can you please get that for me." She asks looking up from the paperwork she was filling out. I nod and go open the door. "Hello sir." I smile at the older gentleman there. "Hello Elphaba, and how are you doing?"

"Very well. Please come in." I say opening the door wider so he could enter. He smiles as he enters. "Good morning, Carrellin." He greets the nurse and she looks up. "Well good morning to you as well Jake. What do we owe this visit?"

"I was wondering if you had heard the latest new from the Emerald City yet?"

"No. We haven't had anyone stop in here at all this morning until you arrived." She says shaking her head. "I am guessing it is something pretty big if you have come out here to tell us."

He nods. "It is, and you aren't going to believe it when I tell you!" He says taking a seat and I go to the kitchen and return with a mug of coffee for him. "Thank you Elphaba." He says taking it and takes a sip. "Wow this is good!" He grins at me. "Thank you." I smile as I go and take a seat by window as he goes on. "Apparently Lady Glinda made a speech yesterday, and it has really got people in quite a stir!"

"Well, are you going to tell us Jake or are you going to make us wait till Laurlinemas?" I chuckle at the nurse when she says that. Jake looks up and gives her a fake scowl. "Now, Carrellin, why in Oz would I make you wait? I am going to tell, but can't I at least have a drink of this delicious coffee Miss Elphaba has so kindly provided me with?" I again smile and blush a little. The nurse pouts slightly but doesn't object this time.

They chat idly for a little bit and I start to zone out. Staring out the window I frown as the rain begins to fall. I must have dozed a little because I suddenly jump slightly startled as Jake puts his mug on the table. "Now he says," sitting back a little, "I will tell you why I am here."

"About time!" Carrelin says. Jake laughs. "It didn't take me that long to drink my coffee. Anyways, we received new this morning that Lady Glinda has stepped down as ruler of Oz." Carrellin and I both gasp. "Did she give a reason Jake?" She asks him. He nods, "She said it was getting too stressful for her and she felt Oz was ready to choose a leader of their own. She also left that Averic kid in charge."

"Averic Tenmedows? That is an interesting choice, but I guess he will do a good job." Carrelin says. Averic Tenmedows? "The name sounds familiar." I mumble. They look at me and seem surprised. "You went to school with him." I must have looked confused. "A-are you sure?" He nods. "I am sure Elphaba."

They go back to talking and I quietly slip out the room and go to my bedroom. I go to the desk and sit down. After a few minutes I take out my journal and a quill pen.

Dear Diary,

Today has started out on an interesting note. Jake, the gardener, came by and told us he had some news from the Emerald City, and boy is it surprising news indeed! Apparently Lady Glinda had stepped down as the leader of Oz. I can wonder why she has and if this means she will be returning to her parents' estate or if she will go off somewhere else. I am not sure why but I would like it if she returned.

There was another thing that happened that has me confused. Jake also mentioned that Glinda had left someone by the name of Averic Tenmedows in charge in her stead. The name seemed slightly familiar and when I asked about it I was told we attended school together. I have no memory per say of him, but something in me felt rather uncomfortable when I heard his name. Maybe I'm just crazy, but I don't think I liked him too much. Oh well, it isn't my choice and I don't know really know him. I mean I did, but I don't know. I guess we will see how he does as leader.

~E.M. Thropp

I look up and sigh rubbing my eyes. Glancing out the window I frown. "And it's still raining." I grumble, put my journal, grab one of my books and go lay down on the bed.