A Walk in the Woods

Dear Diary,

Dear Diary,

It has been a few days since Glinda has moved in, and I have come to realize she is NOT a morning person! It is nearly tea time and she is still in bed. I am half tempted to wake her up, but I get the feeling she would be a bit of a grump if I did, and so I shall let her sleep.

The day is so beautiful that I have decided I want to go for a walk while I wait for Glinda to wake. There is a small clearing in the woods that has soft grass and a few wildflowers it so peaceful, and I find I can think clearly there. I am hoping that maybe with how peaceful it is I can figure out how to summon these powers I had drawn upon, and if I can maybe I will be able to figure out if it gift or a curse.

~E.M.Thropp

I put my journal away, and then get up and cross the room to my closet. Opening the closet I take out a ragged, old black leather satchel. I sling it over my shoulder and leave the room.

"Bessie, I hope wanted to let you know that I am going to go for a walk in the woods."

She looks up from dough she kneading. "I take it you won't be back for tea time?" I shake my head. "No. I am planning on going to the small clearing. It's... it's..." I scowl slightly trying to remember. "Oh! Now I remember!" I smile. "It's about a forty minute walk west of here."

"In that case," Bessie smiles. "I should pack you something to eat. How about some cheese, a few boiled eggs, a small chunk of bread." I giggle watching her rush around collecting the food, and go to help her. "Bessie, please there is no need to make a fuss. I can get my own food."

"Elphaba Thropp, I won't have you talking like that. I am here to wait on you and Glinda. Now you sit right there on that stool and let me do my job." She gives me a slight glare as she scolds me, and have no other choice but to sit down. I watch as she begins to scuttle around again. She adds a couple more items in the satchel, and then smiles at me. "There you go dear. All set. You enjoy yourself now."

"Thank you Bessie. I will." I smile and go to head out the door. "Oh Bessie?"

"Yes Elphaba?"

"Would you let Glinda know where I went. I mean, if I'm still gone when she gets up?" She smiles at me and chuckles. "I will." Giving her a nod I thank her then head out to begin my walk.

The warm sunshine feels wonderful, and I just smile as I start walking down the path to the woods. Soon I am breathing in the sweet smell of pine and sap. I chuckle as a pair of squirrels race across the path and disappear. "It's so nice to be out in the fresh air. I feel so alive."

I watch as some birds take flight as I past. I smile and begin to quietly sing. "If you care to find me look to the western sky." I smile as I point towards the west. "As someone told me lately everyone deserves a chance to fly. And if I'm flying solo at least I'm flying free." I run ahead a little on the trail and twirl in a circle before halting and stomping one foot down on the ground. "To those who ground me, take a message back from me." I begin running ahead a little. "Tell them how I am defying gravity. I'm flying high defying gravity, and soon I'll match them in renown. And nobody in all of Oz, no Wizard that there is or was is ever gonna bring me down!" I stop at a small ravine and keep singing. "Ah AH AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" Hands outstretched to my sides I sing that last note as loud as I can, and smile defiantly as a bunch of birds and small creatures race away.

I have no idea where that came from, but it felt good to sing it. With one last nod I turn and continue down the trail.After forty five minutes of walking with a brief stop to eat, I reached the clearing.