Smoke, Water, and a Trap Door

My sleep is restless as I begin to dream again, and it's as if I had never woken up, for you see my dream seems to pick up where it had left off

Seconds after I shove Glinda between the corner and wardrobe the sound of shattering wood and yelling from the witch hunters filled the castle. This is it. I think to myself. Today I die and my fight will be over.

Dorothy burst through my door and spin around glaring at her. She shrinks back a little but only for a second. "I'm sorry to barge in like this Miss Elphaba, but there is an angry move of witch hunters here!"

"I don't care!" I yell at here. "I want those shoes!" I scream pointing to Nessa's shoes that she still has on her feet. She goes pale and stammers, "B- but I can't get them... them off!"

"Then I am just going to have to kill you now and take them, aren't I?" I cackle and make a ball of fire appear in my hand. Dorothy begins to back up scared.

Good, she believes I will hurt her. So far my plan is working. I think and aim the ball of fire towards her. When I release it she jumps back, and when she does I move quickly making appear as if my dress "accidently" get hit with the fire as well.

The room fills with smoke, and Dorothy starts to panic as her little dog begins to bark. She spots the bucket of water in the corner and grabs it. Good. She thinks the fire will hurt me. It won't though. I used a spell that will only cause the slightest damage to occur to my outfit.

The next thing I know though Dorothy has tossed the bucket if water on me, but she doesn't hit the burning part of gown that well and most the water hits my chest and some on my face. I scream in pain and stumble back. Lucky I end up standing on the trapdoor, and fall through appearing as if the water has melted me. Upon melting all my clothes, except my under garments, end up covering the trap door. I huddle in that small space as I hear the guards come rushing in, and they hail Dorothy as hero, of course.

After the guards and Dorothy leave it is very quiet, and for a moment I thought everyone, including Glinda, had left, but then I heard quiet footsteps. They stop near the trapdoor. I hear a gasp and someone sick up then move closer.

"Oh, Elphie. My dear, poor, Elphie!" It's Glinda! My heart about stops! I thought she had left after the others had. Why in Oz is she still here? I think as I stay perfectly still. "Why did you have to do it? Elphie, they were just shoes! Just some stupid, silly shoes!" I roll my eyes. She still believes it's all about the shoes, but I don't care about the shoes anymore.

My thoughts are interrupted when I hear her speak again. "Elphie, I'm sorry. I...I'm sorry, I never meant for it to end like this." I furrow my brow. What do you mean? You did nothing wrong, my sweet. It was my fault all of it was my fault! Her sobbing stops for just a moment and I can barely hear what she is saying. "I... I love you!" My heart does stop then. She loves me? Glinda, loves me? I am in shock though I really shouldn't be. I mean we did... My sweet, sweet, Glinda loves me... sweet Oz! It's just then that I realize that I love Glinda. I love her so much.

"I love you too, my sweet." I find myself saying touching the trap door that separates us, and quickly cover my mouth when I hear her shift. "Elphie?" I stay completely still and quiet, and after a few moments she sighs. "She's gone Glinda." I hear her say to herself. "She's gone, and she won't be back, and she will never know that I... I love her!" She begins to cry harder, and then my heart shatters in a million pieces as she lets out blood curdling scream.

After a few minutes or was it a few seconds? I don't know, but it doesn't matter. I died in that moment or least it felt like I had now than before. I let the tears come because they didn't hurt nearly as much my shattered heart, and it isn't long after she stops screaming that I hear her get up and leave. I stayed quiet for quite awhile after till I knew that I was alone, and then I myself began to scream. I screamed and screamed for what feels like an eternity.

Suddenly I begin to shake. "Elphie!" I hear someone call my name. "Elphie! Wake up!" I'm confused as I hear my name being called and it sounds like Glinda saying it. "Elphaba!" She says a bit more louder and shakes me again. My eyes shoot open, I'm trembling all over, my throat hurts from screaming, and my whole body burns.

"Elphaba, it's okay, honey. It was just a dream." She coos softly taking me into a hug, and holding me for a few minutes. I cling to her and cry, and Glinda just holds me rocking me softly. It takes a few minutes for me to calm down, but I eventually do, but I still don't let go of her.

"Elphaba, are you okay?" She asks pulling back a little and looks at me. I nod slowly and sit up. "Y-yeah. I-I'm okay." She studies me a bit concerned. "Are you sure?" I nod again. "Sorry I caused you to worry." I whisper my voice still hurts from screaming. "I... I just had a... a..." I don't go on. Glinda nods understandingly. "Do you want to talk about it?" I shake my head no. "I don't think I am ready to yet."

"It's okay, Elphie." She says. "Do you want or need me to stay with you for a bit?" I shake my head. "I think I will be okay." She stands up and hesitantly gives me a kiss on the forehead. "Good night Elphie."

"Good night, my sweet, Glinda" I say quietly. She smiles and as she turns she bumps into the night stand and a stack of envelopes falls to the ground. "I'm sorry, Elphie!" She says quickly as we both immediately go to pick them up. "It's okay, Glinda."

She picks a couple up and then halts. I look up and notice a look of anger cross her face. "Where did you get these?" She growls shoving a letter at me. "Who gave you these?"

"Gl- Glinda, your mother gave them to me to read beca-" I try to explain.

"You had no right to read these!" Her voice raises in octaves and she is practically purple with anger!

"I am sorry, Glinda. I didn't mean to pry, but you mother told me I could read them to see if they would help me remember anything or answer some questions I had!" I speak quickly.

"She had no right! NO RIGHT, to let you read these!" She grabs the rest of the letters and storms out before I can say anything else. I sit there shocked and confused about what just happened as well as still being upset over the dream. I stay sitting where I am the remainder of the night not going back to sleep.