Spin the Bottle

There is a group of people all sitting around in a circle

There is a group of people all sitting around in a circle. It is very loud and I really would rather not be here, but I can't leave right now as I have been pulled into the circle to play a stupid game.

"Does anyone have a bottle we can use?" I hear someone ask. "We have to have bottle or we can't play Spin the Bottle!"

Oh joy! I think to myself sarcastically. Out of all the game we have to play they want to play Spin the Bottle.

"Here is a bottle we can use!" I hear a high shrill voice and immediately recognize it as Galinda's. I turn and look as she takes a small glass bottle out of my satchel. "Galinda!" I call to her. "Galinda, put that back! It's mine!" I say rushing towards her. She giggles putting the bottle Behind her back as she quickly dashes around me. "Galinda, I'm not kidding! Give it back!"

"No! We need it for our game of Spin the Bottle, and using your bottle of whatever this is," she says looking at it oddly and then smiles back at me, "will guarantee that you play. I growl at her, and realize that this is one battle I won't win. "Fine!" I growl. "But as soon the game is over you give it back and I am through with this ridiculous party."

I rejoin the circle of party guests with Galinda, and two of them pull me over to sit by them. "You can sit here Elphaba." One of them says. "Thanks, I guess." I mumble.

I watch with boredom and disgust as people spin the bottle and kiss the person the bottle points to. Some people laugh at who they get, some look as if they will be sick and do quick pecks, and then there are others who well, let's just say they end up falling out of the circle of the game because they are making out.

Galinda soon takes her turn and spins the bottle. There are several boys I see cross their fingers hoping that they will have the bottle land on them. Boq even whispers, "Please let it land on me."

Suddenly, the entire group falls silent, and I stare in shock and disbelief as I realize the bottle has stopped and is pointing at me! I slowly look up and Galinda's eyes meet mine. We stare at each other for a few moments before any either of us move.

"Galinda you can spin the bottle again." I hear someone comment and glance over to see one of her friends making a nasty face at me. I give a low growl. One of the guys pipes up. "I'd kiss the artichoke, except I would likely catch whatever it is that causes her to be green." This causes everyone to laugh.

I am ready to snap when suddenly Galinda speaks. "It's okay." She says sitting up very straight and tosses her hair over her shoulder. My eyes snap back to her's questioningly, and she continues to talk. "I will kiss her." I look go wide eyed, and then she adds with a semi mean snear. "After all, it is likely the only kiss she will ever get." She smirks. I glare at her. "Fine, then let's get this over with. After all, I wouldn't want to keep her highness waiting." I say mockingly.

Everyone goes silent as we lean in towards each other, and just before we go to kiss I whisper to her. "You really don't have to do this. You can save your reputation and spin again." She gives a small smile. "I know, but the bottle ended up pointing to you, so stop talking and let's get this over with." I give a slight nod. With that we close our eyes and press our lips together.

The moment our lips touch there is strange fluttering feeling I feel inside, and it's almost as if there is a spark between us. I find I want to kiss her more. I want don't want this kiss to end. I feel my heart begin to race and I know my face is flushing. Oz damn! What is this feeling? I have no clue if the kiss lasts seconds, minutes or hours, but all too soon our lips separate. For a few moments neither one of us moves, we just stare at each other, and just by the look in Galinda's eyes I can see she felt the same as I did.

The entire room is silent, waiting to see how we react. Both knowing what is expected I sit up at the same time as Galinda. She clears her throat. "Well, that is just as I expected." She says looking around the room at all the others. She then looks at me and smiles cruelly. "It was like kissing a frog. A horrid, green frog." She sneers.

I am a bit taken aback at her words, even if I know it was mainly for show it hurt. It hurt a lot. I could feel the threat of tears, both from pain of her words and from anger. I stand up. "Well it was no picnic kissing you either!" I snap at her. "You kiss like a slobbery mutt!" With that I snatch up the bottle. "This game is over!" I storm off and people hurry to get out of my way. As I exit the room I slam the door behind me and run as fast as I can back to the room.

I wake up with a start. My heart is pounding, I am sweating and I feel almost dizzy from the emotions I am feeling right now. I kissed Glinda?! My mind is awhirl at the thought, but soon I am able to convince myself it was nothing and went back to sleep.