A Day With Glinda and a Question Answered

As we walk hand in hand we are quiet for a little bit enjoying enjoying the warmth of the sun as well as just being with each other

As we walk hand in hand we are quiet for a little bit enjoying enjoying the warmth of the sun as well as just being with each other. After a bit I quietly begin to hum. Glinda looks at me and smiles. "What is the song you're humming?" I stop smiling briefly as try to think of what it is called, but I draw a blank. "I honestly am not sure." I say truthfully. "It just kind of came to me."

"It's very pretty. Does it have any words?" Again I am silent as I think. "There... there are, but I don't remember them. I'm sorry." I say to Glinda. She stops abruptly causing me to a lost stumble. "Elphie, look hun, there is nothing to be sorry about."

"But I don't know the song title or the words." I object, and she shakes her head and sighs. "Elphie, those aren't important. It's okay if you don't know the name or the words. What is important is that you remembered that it does have a title and words. Now stop sulking over what you can't recall and be happy in knowing you did recall something. It's progress." She smiles at me, and I nod slowly. "I suppose you are right."

"Of course I am!' She says with a grin and roll my eyes at her. "Now let me see that smile of yours." My eyes find hers and for a split second I recall the feeling I had in the dream and realize I feel the same way now, and I can help but smile then. She grins back. "Now let's get going. I want to be able to enjoy the day with you while we still have the day to enjoy." She says. I giggle a little. "Alright, I'm coming."

We arrive at the brook about thirty minutes later, and find a beautiful spot near it, but not too near, to have lunch. As we have lunch Glinda begins telling me some of her favorite memories.

"Elphie, I must admit that the reason I chose to have lunch here is we use to have picnic lunches by the brook that ran near Shiz." Glinda says smiling as closes her eyes recalling the memories. "Crope, Tibalt would join us wearing one of there crazy fashion ideas. They were totally into each other!" She laughs a little when she sees my shocked expression. "Elphie, what is that look for?" I shake my head. "I thought you said they were boys?" She laughed again and playfully nudges me. "They are, but it's okay. There are lots of people who love someone that is the same gender."

"I see." I say quietly still thinking a bit about the dream where Glinda and I kissed. If Crope and Tibalt were a couple, couldn't Glinda and I have been together too. I mean despite the words we said after we kissed? I refocus to what she is saying wanting to know more

"Fiyero, he was a prince, would be there as well."

"Was?" I ask curiously and Glinda looks hesitant for a moment. "Elphie, Fiyero died a few years back." She says wiping a tear away. "Oh, I... I'm sorry." I whisper and for some reason feel a little guilty.

"Anyways," Glinda songs out and smiles. "He was there along with Averic they use to tease Biq-"

"Biq?" I questioned raising an eye. "What an odd name."

"Well his name isn't actually Biq, but I always call him that. I'm terrible with names and just couldn't for the life of me remember it." She gives a chuckle and can't help but giggle and shake my head. It really is no surprise she couldn't remember his name. "Boq." I say quietly. She looks at me narrowing her eyes. "What did you say?" I look at her. "I said his name was Boq."

"How do you know? I thought you didn't remember." I shrug in response. "I... I don't know how I know, but I just do. His name was Boq." How did know that? I sigh and look away She shakes her head. "It's okay if you don't know." She smiles. "Anyways," she says going on. "Nessarose, your younger sister, would be there as well with Nanny. We would all mainly goof around and watch the boys act like idiots. Everyone except you. You would usually be reading or working some project or something. Nanny use to have to take your book or project from you just so you would be social. When she did that you got irritated and usually took it out on the boys. It was all amusing" She sighs. "I miss them all and those times."

"It sounds like we had fun." I say leaning against a tree and closing my eyes. "Oh it was!" She says as I hear her set the picnic basket aside. We are content to sit silently for a while just relaxing.

"Glinda?" I say quietly keeping my eyes closed. "Yes?" She says. "Tell me about us. I mean we're we always friends as you say?" When she doesn't answer at first I open my eyes and study her. I can almost guess what the answer is before she tells me.

"Well, n-no. We use to hate each other. In fact, I use to bully you." She admits after clearing her throat, and she looks embarrassed. "I called you artichoke, and harassed you to no end, but we were eventually friends." I frown. I expected as much, but still stings a little actually hearing her admit that "Elphie, you helped me see that there was more to life then begin popular, and I wish I could say how you did that, but I can't. There really isn't way I can."

I give Glinda a small smile. "I'm glad I was able to help you, even if I don't remember doing so." After that I remains silent and just staring off in the distance. I think for quite some time, and eventually decide I am going to go ahead and ask the question that has been weighing on my mind since I had the dreams. Here goes everything. I think to myself, take a shaky breath, and just ask the question. "Glinda, where we ever more than just friends?" She opens her eyes startled by my question, and I blush completely embarrassed when I notice her expression. "I- I'm sorry." I whisper. "I should not have asked that. I was out of line."

Glinda sits up then and turns to face me. "No, it's perfectly okay that you asked." She gives me a small smile and I return it still not fully able to meet her gaze despite her saying she was okay with the question. "Why do you ask though, if you don't mind me asking?"

I shrug not really sure what to say. "I'm going to sound crazy, but it's almost as if I get this odd feeling every now and then. A feeling that I know I know you." I furrow my brow in frustration as I try to find the words to make her understand. "It's like there is a part of me deep in my heart that tells me I loved you at some point." Chuckling I look away. "I told you it was going to sound crazy."

You can imagine my surprise when she takes my hand gently in her's. "Elphie, you are not crazy."

"How can you say that?" I whisper.

"I can say that because it's true. That feeling you have deep inside is genuine." Glinda says squeezing my hand gently. "There was a time years ago that we loved each other. First we thought we loathed each other. Then, we thought we were just friends, but one day we realized it was more." She meets my gaze and gives me another small smile. "We realized that love and hate were are so strong that we often mix the two up, and when we thought we had hated each other we actually really and truly loved one another." I silently sit there trying desperately to process it all, but I am having a very hard time with it.

I'm not sure how much longer we sit there, but after I hear Glinda. "Come along, Elphie, it's getting late." She stands with the picnic basket, and waits as I stand. We walk back to the cabin in silents. I don't mind the silents. In fact, I need the silents, and once we get home I return to my room where I hope I can process what Glinda has told me.