Animals Should Be Seen And Not Heard!

"It's Galinda with a Ga

"It's Galinda with a Ga. And I don't know why you can't just teach us history instead of always harping on the past." Galinda says tossing her hair and sitting down. I just stare at her for a moment, shake my head, and roll my eyes. And just when I didn't think she could be anymore well, blond!

Our history professor Dr. Dillamond, who is a Goat, finally gets the class to somewhat settle down. "Well, perhaps these questions that I have prepared-"

He turns a chalkboard around, and the class gives a collective gasp and he looks shocked as we see printed in bold letters: ANIMALS SHOULD BE SEEN AND NOT HEARD!

"Who is responsible for this?" He asks the class looking around rather flustered. "I'm waiting for an answer." Still everyone is silent. "Very well, that will be all for today." We all look around at each other. "You heard me, class dismissed!" Dr. Dillamond stamps a hoof.

Everyone grabs their books and rush out. I slowly pack up my things and turn to my sister. "You go ahead Nessa." I say nodding to her to let her know I will catch up to her.Once everyone has left I turn to Dr. Dillamond. "Animals should be seen and not heard?!"

Dr. Dillamond jumps startled and turns around surprised to see me. "Oh Miss Elphaba, don't worry about me. Go join your friends."

"That's alright, I have no friends." I say with a shrug. "Would you like to share my lunch?" I ask him sitting down one of the benches, and open my lunch handing him the wrapper from my sandwich. He gives me a small smile and takes a bite. He then smiles apologetically. "Thank you. How kind. I've seem to have lost my appetite."

Sighing I look over at the chalkboard and then back at Dr. Dillamond. "You shouldn't let ignorant statements like that bother you." I say holding his shoulder for a moment before he looks at me with a somewhat surprised look. I shrug. " I mean, I always do, but you shouldn't."

He turns to me a little sympathetically, yet passionately. "Oh Miss Elphaba- if it were just a matter of words on a chalkboard! But the things one hears these days." He takes my hand and looks me in the eyes. "Dreadful things..." He says and then begins to sings. "I've heard of an Ox a professor from Quox no longer permitted to teach. Who has lost all powers of speech!" I stare at him in shock before shaking my head in disbelief. "What?"

He gets up and begins to pace a little. "And an Owl in Munchkin Rock, a vicar with a thriving flock, forbidden to peach. Now he can only screech!" I go to say something but he continues. "Only rumors- but still- enough to give pause to anyone with paws." He turns to me. "Something bad is happening in Oz."

I slowly stand and sing back a little hesitantly unsure. "Something bad? Happening in Oz?" He nods. "Under the surface. Behind the scenes. Something BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD...." We are both startled by the sound of him bleating. "Bad." He says looking at me sadly.

"Doctor Dillamond, are you alright?" I ask worriedly. "Shall I go fetch you a glass of water?" I quickly stand. He shakes his head. "No, I don't know what came over me."

"So you're saying that there are Animals that have somehow forgotten how to speak?" I ask standing, and he nods. "How is that possible?"

"Well with so much pressure not to. If you make it discouraging enough you can keep anyone silent." He says and starts to turn away. "But I for one will never..." He trailes off. "Oh, Madame Morrible!" He says surprised.

Madame Morrible looks around. " I heard there was some sort of disturbance in class. Are you alright, Doctor?" She asks coming over to him, and noticeses me. "And Miss Elphaba, you're still here?" She sounds surprised. "I thought you'd be on your way to my seminar by now."

"Yes Madame Morrilbe, I would be but..."

She arches a brow at me, and looks slightly stern. "But? I do hope I haven't misplaced my trust in you." I shake my head. "Magic is a demanderting mistress, and if one's ambition is to meet the Wizard." She glances from me to Doctor Dillamond with an odd almost conniving look. "I'm sure Doctor Dillamond sees my point." Her eyes narrow slightly at him before she looks back at me and smiles. She then leaves the room.

I start to collect my things. "I better go." I finish putting my books in my satchel. "Doctor Dillamond, if something bad is happening to the Animals, someone's got to tell the Wizard!" I say taking his arm. "He'll make it right! That's why we have a Wizard..." I smile hopefully at Doctor Dillamond, and sing. "So nothing bad..."

"I hope you're right." Doctor Dillamond says taking patting my hand gently, and we both sing, "Nothing all that bad."

"Nothing truly BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!" He hangs his head and looks sheepishly. "Sorry. Bad." He says quietly and quickly leaves the room.

I sadly watch him no and I quietly sing. "It couldn't happen here in Oz..." Shouldering my bag I exit the room, and slowly I open my eyes. I lay there in the darkness confused. It was all a dream? I think to myself. It felt so real, so.... so I don't know familiar.

Sitting up I push the covers off and wonder how I ended up in bed. I mean I remember sitting on my bed and writing, but not getting changed and going to bed. Glancing at my nightstand I see my journal where I left it. I pick it up, and slowly go get up and notice Glinda asleep in one of the chairs. She and Bessie must have gotten me changed and onto bed. I smile and carefully do not to wake her cover her back up with the blanket that is half off her, and silently I leave the room and make my way to kitchen.

The house is so quiet and I can see the sun is barely starting to come up. I put some water on for tea after stoking a fire, and settle myself on one of the stools.

Dear Diary,

It happened tonight I had another dream, and this time I remember what it is. I was at school, and was attending history class. The professor's name was Doctor Dillamond, and he was not a human but a Goat! What surprised me was that not only was the professor a Goat, bit Glinda was in attendance as well, and for some reason she said her name was Galinda with a "Ga". At least I am fairly sure it was Glinda, but if it wasn't it was someone who looked very much like her. I also get the feeling we were not friends. In fact, I would say we were enemies of sorts.

The tea kettle begins to whistle at that moment so I quickly get up and remove it from the fire. I hope I got it off in time, because the last thing I want to do is wake up Bessie and Glinda.

I prepare my tea, collect my journal and move out to the porch. The air is cool in the early morning light, but it is so peaceful. I settle into one of the chairs and watch the sky change colors for a few minutes before returning to my writing.

Sitting here in the early hours of the morning I can't help but wonder about a few things. Did Glinda and I know each other in school, and if we did were we friends? Did Glinda ever go by Galinda at any point in her life, and why not go by that name now? Was this just a dream as a result of what happened in the clearing with the Deer, or was this a dream that wasn't actually a dream, but a memory? That is the biggest thing I wonder about. I suppose I will have to talk to Glinda, but there is a part of me that is holding me back. A part that doesn't want to know, and for whatever reason feels it is safer not to know. I suppose as I have said before I will keep this to myself, and maybe I can figure it out myself, but if there is one thing I know, that is if I keep just writing questions and not getting answers I will have to talk to someone.

I hear the sound of someone up, and coming towards the door. It must be Bessie because I can't think of any time Glinda was up before now, and so on quickly finishing my entry.

I am afraid I must close this now as I hear someone is now up, but I will ponder what this dream could mean, and I will write down whatever I figure out.

~E.M.Thropp