What Glinda Told Her Mother

The next morning I accompany Glinda to her parents house

The next morning I accompany Glinda to her parents house. The day is a little overcast, but doesn't show any sign that it is going to rain. We are silent as we make our way to the house, and it is evident that she doesn't want to talk about yesterday, and so we are silent. When we get to the house I enter through the back door as I have been ordered to by Master Upland, and Glinda goes to the front of the house where her father awaits for her. He wants her to accompany him on a business trip or something.

The kitchen is still quiet at this hour as it is still early. I nod politely to the cook at the cook and she gives a slight nod in return, but doesn't break the conversation she is having with one of the scullery maids. I easily find my way to the conservatory where I know Lady Upland will be. Knocking softly I wait for her to reply.

"Come in!" She calls, and I enter the room. Lady upland turns away from where she was reading a book. "Good morning Elphaba." She says with a smile. "Good morning Lady Upland." I say giving a slight curtsy. She grins. "Elphaba, to what do I owe the visit?"

"I... I was wondering if I could talk to you about something?"

"Of course, dear." She says setting her book down and motioning to a chair next to her." Highmuster and Glinda won't be home till late this evening. Please sit." She says smiling.

"Um, thank you." I say crossing the room and sitting in the chair she directed me to. "I... I'm sorry to intrude upon your day, but I had a question concerning something Glinda and I were talking about yesterday."

"Okay, I am not sure how I can help you, but I'll try." She looks at me confused, and I take a slow breath before going on. "I know that this might sound crazy and all, but I was talking to Glinda about these dreams I have been having. Except they don't exactly feel like dreams, and when I told her what they were she said that they were more like memories. She actually knew exactly what I was talking to her about. Glinda said they weren't... they weren't dreams per say, but actual memories!" I shake my head a little still a bit dazed to learn that I was beginning to actually remember things, even if it was in the form of dreams.

Lady Upland is quiet for what feels like a very long time. "Elphaba, if you are starting to remember things again then that is really good." She gives me a small smile. "We have been worried that you may never remember your past."

"Who is we?" I ask confused. Could Master Upland really want me to remember? I mean he seems to hate me for some reason. Lady Upland takes my hand in her's. "Let me clarify. Glinda, Bessie, your doctor, Chistery, and myself, we have all worried about you."

"Oh. I'm sorry. I... I didn't mean to worry you." I frown and my gaze drops to my lap.

"Elphaba, don't be silly. You have nothing to be sorry about. You went through a horrific time, and well, you have... had severe trauma that affected your brain. Now, forget that, and tell me more of what you came to talk to me about."