Horrors

After an awkward and quiet supper I return to my room feeling exhausted

After an awkward and quiet supper I return to my room feeling exhausted. I change and then call it a night quickly falling asleep. The following morning I get up and head to the kitchen, and notice Bessie hasn't gotten up yet. I decide that I will fix breakfast sort of as a way to say sorry for how I spoke to her the other day.

It doesn't take me long to have breakfast fixed and as I get the last bit of food on the table Bessie comes in. She stops looking surprised. “Good morning Bessie.” I say quietly giving her a small smile. “I just wanted to apologize for my behavior yesterday. It was completely uncalled for.”

“Good morning to you too.” She says slowly. “No need to apologise. I shouldn't have been meddling with your things.”

“But shouldn't have overreacted. Now come and have breakfast before it gets cold.” I smile at her, and she comes over taking a seat. “Thank you Elphaba. It all looks so good!”

Just as Bessie gets settled a half awake Glinda stumbles into the room. Bessie and I exchange a look of surprise. “Good morning Glinda.” Bessie says first, and Glinda just mumbles incoherently at her, and I smile amused. “You're up early, Glin” I say smiling at her. She looks at me. “I smell food.” She grumbles and yawns. Bessie and I just laugh, and I go get a plate, silverware and a mug of tea for her.

After a few minutes of us eating in silence Glinda seems to finally wake up more and smiles. “Bessie this is really good!” She says smiling, and before Bessie can answer I pipe up. “Thank you Glinda. I figured I would make breakfast today, sort of as a way to apologize for my behavior yesterday.”

Glinda looks a little surprised. “Oh… well then breakfast is good, and I forgive you.” I smile at that. “Thank you Glinda.”

“So Glinda, I'm surprised you are up already. I mean, you are rarely up before nine in the morning.” Bessie says smiling at her. Glinda looks up from her plate of food and smiles. “Oh I forgot to tell you. Momsie and Popsicle have asked me to go with them on a business trip, and we leave around noon.”

“Really?” I say frowning a little. “How long will you be gone for?”

“We will come back tomorrow evening. Popsicle wanted me to come along because the clients he is visiting are especially stubborn and can be very dishonest.”

“So what does that have to do with you?” I say flatly, and she shrugs. “I suppose it is because when I was ruler I dealt with them before, and I have an amulet that allows me to know when someone is lying.”

Bessie nods. “I remember that amulet! You had to use it a few times when there was a major dispute going on.”

Glinda nods. “I don't like having to use it but sometimes it is necessary. Anyways, Momsie is going along because she has a dear friend that lives out there and hasn't seen her in awhile.”

The rest of the meal goes by pleasantly, and soon Glinda is heading off with her parents leaving just Bessie and I. I turn to Bessie and smile. “Hey Bessie, why don’t you take off till tomorrow.” She looks at me surprised. “Are you sure?”

“Of course I am sure!” I laugh. “I can take care of myself. Besides you need some time for yourself as well.” She gives me a smile. “Alright, but let me just finish cleaning up the kit-”

“Bessie! I am more than capable of cleaning up the kitchen as well as taking care of the house while you are gone. After all it’s just one night. Now go!” I smirk. “And that is an order!”

“Yes ma’am!” She says quickly rushing out of the kitchen, grabbing her coat and heading out the door. I laugh as I watch her, and shake my head in amusement as I begin finishing up the kitchen.

Once I finish the kitchen I head back to my room. “Finally!” I say to myself. “Now I can find out more about myself. I look at the looking glass and sigh. “Are you going to show me what I want to see?” Wow talking to the looking glass. Smooth Elphaba. Real smooth. I think. I am eager to see more and rather impatient, and so I decide to do the one thing I know will guarantee me seeing something. I decide I am going to drink some more of the elixer.

Turning to the shelf I keep it on I take it down. Again I swirl the green liquid. “I wonder…” I think to myself, “if a small swallow allowed me to see the few memories I did see then how much more can I see if I drink the remainder of it?” I look from the vial to the looking glass speaking almost as if the looking glass could hear me, and maybe it can or maybe it can’t. I shrug and open it up. “Bottoms up!” I say and down the remaining amount of elixir. I again gag on it as I try to not spit it back out, but I eventually manage to swallow it. Why in OZ did I think downing this crap was a good idea?

I turn and go to put the empty vial back on the shelf when suddenly a wave of pain rushes over me. My vision goes a little blurry and I double over feeling nauseous. I turn slowly stumbling from the pain trying to make it over to the bed, but I just collapse.

I lay on the floor gasping. I just want to get over to my bed, but when I glance around everything is dark. Wh- what’s ha-happening? Why is it so dark? I try to move to find a light, but I find I can’t move, and the pain I feel flairs up even more. I can’t move! Why can’t I move!? Why does everything hurt?

I lay there in pain, gasping with each painful breath, and soon my eyes seem to begin to adjust to the dark. As things become a little clearer I hear angry, yelling voices. Suddenly I panic. “Their coming for me!” I have to move, but I again I can't. I scream in frustration and pain, and after a moment a bright light shine in my face.

“Come along Fae!” I hear a man's voice. It sounds familiar. Fiyero? Fiyero! I go to respond when I he grabs me and picks me up. “Time to go.” He says. As he carries me I shudder in pain. “F-Fiyero. P-please. I- I hu-hurt.” I manage to stammer before feeling overwhelmed with pain. I can't see his face clearly, but his voice sounds distant as he responds, “It will all be over soon.” With that everything goes dark.

My eyes fly open and I scream in pain again. Frantically I try looking around and notice I am covered in large blisters. My arm! What happened to my arms? I think for a moment wracking my brain, but the difficulty I am having breathing is beginning to make it hard to think clearly. Water! I must have gotten covered in water! It all made sense now. At least when it came to the blisters and pain. Looking down again and squinting hard  I realize just how bad it is. My skin feels as if it is on fire and looks as if it is just melting away.

I again try looking around for Fiyero or anyone who can help, but my vision is beginning to get blurry, and I am choking on the blood that I now cough up. I can breath just a little better after coughing up the blood. “Just let me die already!” I barely scream, and begin sobbing as wave after wave of pain rushes over me. “Just let me...” I mumbled closing my eyes letting the darkness envelope me.