What Glinda Knows

A knock at the door rouses me from my thoughts. "Elphie?" It's Glinda. I get up and open the door. She gives me a small smile. "Hey, I wanted to make sure you were okay. You have been in here since we got back yesterday." She says as I move aside to let her in. "Elphie... why is your room so dark?" She asks slowly.

"Because I haven't opened the curtains yet." It was true, at least partially. The truth is since the dream I had last night the darkness feels safe. It helps me to not feel so overwhelmed. I can think, but I don't think Glinda would understand.

She crosses the room, and throw open the curtains. "That is much better!" She says in a sort of sing song voice. I flinch away from the light, but she doesn't notice. "Now Elphie, you really should be getting up now and come out and get something to eat. It is nearly lunch time!"

Is it really that late? I look out the window and realize it really is later than I realized. Sighing I nod. "I'll be out shortly." I say as I go over to my closet. Glinda heads for the door. "I'll let Bessie know you will be joining us for lunch." She says as she leaves the room.

I join them about twenty minutes later for lunch. "Good afternoon Elphaba!" Bessie say in a chipper voice. "Nice of you to join us." she teases. I give her a small half hearted smile and say nothing. Out of the corner of my eye I see her and Glinda exchange a look, and Glinda shrugs. "Well, I hope you are hungry." She says uncovering the plates of food. "I made some new dishes."

"Yay!" Glinda squeals and claps excitedly. I just smirk and roll my eyes at her. Such a child at times. She wastes no time I. Dishing herself out some of foods.

I knew I had to take some or Bessie and Glinda would pester me to no end, so I took a little of each thing. It smelled good, but I really wasn't hungry. I picked at it and kind of just moved it around on my plate as I thought about the dreams I have been having.

"Elphie?" The voice sounds distant. "Elphie?" I hear the voice again, but "ELPHABA!" I give a start as I snap out of my thoughts. I look confused a little and realize Glinda and Bessie had been talking about me. "Elphie, are you okay?"

"Y-yeah. Sorry, I was... I was just thinking."

"About what?" Glinda asks taking my hand. She looks worried.

"Just about... about somethings." I sigh a little and look at Glinda. "Hey Glinda I was wondering if we could go for a walk and talk for a bit." She again exchanges a worried look with Bessie. "I was going to go town with Bessie to get a few things." She says slowly looking back at me.

"Glinda, I can handle getting what we need." She smiles reassuringly. "You and Elphaba go ahead and take that walk." Glinda nods. "If you are sure." She says slowly.

"Of course! Now, you and Elphaba get going, and make sure you are back in time for supper!" Bessie stands and starts to clear away the dishes as Glinda and I get up and head out the door.

We start down the trail of the rose garden and for a little while we walk in silence. I think on about what I want to talk to Glinda about, and soon I clear my throat a little. "Glinda, I... I wanted to talk to you about something." She nods. "So you have said." She says not unkindly. "What is you wish to talk about?"

"I was wondering something." I say a little unsure of how to word what I want to say. "What is it Elphie?" I stop and turn to face her. "Do you believe or think that dreams are memories of things that have been or perhaps things that are yet to come?" She narrows her eyes studying me for a few moments, and slowly nods. "Yes. Why do ask?"

"Lately I have been having dreams, but they don't seem or feel like just dreams." I furrow my brow as I look at the ground. "They seem so real, and I... I was wondering if I could talk to you about them."

"If you want to, but I am not sure how that would help." She says leading me towards a bench near the center of the garden. We take a seat and she turns to me. "So, what are these dreams you have been having?"

"Right, the dream. Well, I... I..." What do I tell her? Where do I start? I close the my eyes and let the memory if dream come back to me, and begin to tell her of what I saw concerning what happened in Dr. Dillamond's class. She listened quietly and seemed to be lost in thought by the time I finished telling her about it.

I watch her silently, and after a moment she looks at me. "Elphie, the dream you had, well it wasn't just a dream. That really happened, and while I don't know what one after I left the classroom you had eventually told me about what Madame Morrible had said, and what Dr. Dillamond had discussed."

"I am not sure why, but I feel as if what happened that day was important." I look at Glinda and slightly confused. "I feel it even more now that you told me that the dream was true. I am not sure if that makes any sense"

"It make perfect sense. The day that happened you became adamant in helping Dr. Dillamond." She stands and taking my hand and pulling me up to walk to with her. "You see Madame Morrible was teaching you magic, because you had, well have, a gift of magic. She believed you that you would be good enough to become the Wizard's Magic Grand Vizer."

"Really?" I look at her surprised, and she nods and smiles. "You are very powerful, but you weren't able to control that power at first. You began doing research with Dr. Dillamond so that when you went to see the Wizard you could plead his case to the Wizard about the Animals rights that were being taken away."

"Did I ever get the chance to do that?"

"You did when you went for your interview with the Wizards, but it wasn't until after Dr. Dillamond had... had been murdered." She chokes back a sob. I gasp covering my mouth with my hand shocked to hear that. "Who... who murdered him?" I ask with in a whisper. Glinda shakes her head. "We never knew for sure. The police said that he killed himself, but we had our theories." I go say something and she cuts me off. "Before you ask I will say we believed perhaps Madame Morrible was somehow involved though we couldn't prove it."

"Why did we think that?"

"It was actually your theory and with what want on afterwards we, Fiyero, Nessarose, Boq, you and I all felt it was true. We all wanted to help bring justice to the Animals after Dr. Dillamond's death and we knew you were our best chance. I was so stupid and childish back then the I decided my stand for Animal justice would be to change my name from Galinda to Glinda. Dr Dillamond couldn't ever say my name correct so he had always called me Glinda, and I have been called Glinda since."

"You said I got to plead Dr. Dillamond's case to the Wizard when I went to interview with him. Did it work? Was I able to get things changed for the Animals as well as get the position of Magic Grand Viser?" I ask quickly waiting anxiously for Glinda to answer, but she stays silent. "I... I failed didn't I?" I ask staring at her.

Glinda nods slowly before responding. "Yes, but it wasn't because you didn't try. It ended up being a very complicated and messy ordeal." She doesn't look at me just wipes a tear from cheek and stands. "I am sorry, but I am through talking about this subject. Now if you excuse me, I have some business to attend to in town, and if I hurry I can just make it in time to go with Bessie."

"O-oh, of course." I stammer out unsure of what caused the abrupt ending to the whole conversation. I sit for a few minutes after she hurried away before I make my way back to the cabin.