Roommate

Dear Diary,

Dear Diary,

It has been a few weeks since Glinda has come back to her parents house, and every day she has been here. At first most of the time I didn't realize who she was till later, but more and more I know who she is, and now I am not sure what to make of her. She is loud, very perky, and can be overly excitable at times. She also talks non stop! I sometimes get a headache from it, but you want to know something? I don't mind it that much.

I feel a little bad at times because I basically ignore Glinda. Not intentionally mind you! I just lose interest because I can't follow her rambling, and so I have taken to spending my time reading. Sometimes though I begin to daydream, and those are the rare days her voice seems soothing.

I look up as Glinda and Bessie come into the room, and Glinda looks at me. "Oh hi Elphie!" She says in her usual chipper voice. "How are you doing today?" I smile at her. "I am very well today. How are you Lady Glinda?" She chuckles as she comes over and playfully hits my arm. "You goose! It's just Glinda, and I am doing quite well." I nod slowly. "Oh, um, right. I forgot." I say as i turn back to my journal.

After a moment I notice she is still hovering around. "Is there something you need?" I say glancing up at her over my glasses. She shifts a little. "Well yes actually there is." She clears her throat and I wait quietly watching her.

She glances at Bessie who gives her a slight nod. "Elphie, I wanted to let you know that I have decided to move in here with you." She says and grins. I just stare at her startled and confused. "You do remember who I am don't you?" She asks worriedly. I nod slowly. "You are Glinda, Lady Upland's daughter. Why would you want to move in here with me?"

"I want to be here to help you. I also believe it isn't good for you to be alone here all the time."

I glare at her. "I'm not alone all the time. That Monkey, oh what's his name?" I suddenly feel irritated. Furrowing my brow I try to remember. Think Elphaba! "Chase? No, that isn't it. Chester? No that isn't it either." I say as I massage my temples and growl. Suddenly it's as if the fog in my mind has cleared, and I remembered. " "Chistery! That's his name! I have Chistery to keep me company." I says beaming with pride that I was able to remember, and look up at Glinda.

She smiles back looking proud. "I know Chistery comes around, but he isn't able to be here all the time. You really should have someone here with you, and besides I think I can help you remember your past." I look back down at my journal scanning what I have already written and mumble. "I suppose you can do as you please. This is after all your parents' house, and therefore your house as well."

Glinda growls and I know she is irritated with me. "Elphie, I will be moving in with you now. If you need me I will be in the room across the hall from yours taking care of my things." I just grunt as she and Bessie go to get her settled, and go back to my journalling.

Well, that was, um, unexpected. Glinda just informed me that she is moving from the large family house down to here in the cabin with me. She said it was because I shouldn't be alone. She still insisted on staying! In fact, she and Bessie are in the room across from mine now.

I hate to admit it, but I am glad she is moving in. I do get lonely, and at night it is even lonelier. Who knows maybe it will be good having her here, even though she can be rather taxing at times.

~E.M. Thropp

I close the journal and return to my room. I put it away, and then settle down on my bed for a bit.