Faded Memories

“She had no right to be in here!” I yell glaring at Glinda as Bessie runs from room

“Bessie had come in to clean your room like she is paid to do! She didn't do anything wrong!” Glinda snaps.

“She was at my desk with the looking glass! That is off limits to everyone, but me!”

“Elphaba! You need to calm the Oz down!” She says grabbing my arm.  “Bessie. Did. Nothing. Wrong.” She says slowly. I sighs, and take a seat on the bed. “Glinda, she could have broken it.”

“Again, she didn't.”

“I know, but what if she had? I would have lost all chance to try and find out more about me. About my past.” I sigh rubbing my forehead.

“Elphie, listen to me. Are you listening?” I nod. “You need to remember that you may not get answers right away, but in time you will remember. I'm not telling you that you shouldn't use the looking glass, but I also don't want you to get your hopes up too high, alright?” I nod again. “Good. Now that you are calmer I am going to go check on Bessie.” She gets up and leaves me to my thoughts.

Glinda's right. There is a chance that the looking glass won't work, and so I must make certain that it works. “Hmm.. what can I do to ensure that I am going to actually see something?” I say to myself as I begin to pace.

As I pace there is a glint that I see out of the corner of my eye, and when I turn to see what it was I’m surprised to see a glass vial sitting on a shelf. It isn’t just any vial though, but the vial that was my mother’s. It’s the only thing I have left of her’s. “I wonder…” I think out loud as I pick the vial up. I give the green liquid a slight swirl. Maybe this is what I need. Maybe this is what will ensure that I see something. Taking a deep breath I uncork the vial. “Here’s to memories and visions.” I say raise a cheer to my reflection, take a swallow of the green elixir, and place the vial back on the shelf. “Ugh! This stuff taste horrible!” I sputter and gag on it. “Now let's see what will happen.” I say to myself as I sit down in front of my looking glass.

I sit there and stare at the looking glass for awhile. Nothing happens. Sighing I look up at the clock, and it has been thirty minutes. “Stupid looking glass!”  I growl going to stand, but as I do so my eyes are drawn back to the looking glass. The looking glass is glowing and appears to have a swirling green fog in it. Sitting down I watch the fog swirl, and it is almost as if I am being sucked into the looking glass.

As suddenly as I feel as if I am being sucked in I find myself standing in an area that is rather marshy looking. Where in Oz am I? I turn around slowly looking at everything around me, and that is when I spot a group of children. They are crowded around something yelling.

“Frog! Freak!” One child yells and throws something. Ouch! I think as I grab my shoulder. What the heck? “Hey Artichoke! Did that hurt?” Another yells, and the others laugh. “How could it hurt? Artichokes don’t have any feelings.” The whole group begins to laugh. Artichoke? That sounds familiar… My eyes go wide and I take off running towards the group.