Changed For Good

I pace the room irritated

I pace the room irritated. Why won’t that child stop her damn crying? She is really starting to get on my nerves! I storm over to the room she is in and slam open the door. “Oh for Oz sake! Stop crying! You want to see your Aunt Em and Uncle what’s-his-name again?” The child whimper and nods her head. “Then get those shoes off your feet!” I holler at her and slam the door door shut. I begin to storm around making sure everything is in place and grumble to myself, “Squeally little brat takes a dead woman’s shoes, most’ve been raised in a barn!”

I look around irritated. “Chistery!” I yell and as I turn around I almost bump into the winged monkey. “Oh Chistery, there you are.” That is when I notice he is alone. “Where are the others?” He starts chattering and whooping a little in monkey. I sigh. “Chistery, please if you don’t at least try to keep speaking you’ll never…”

Just then the last person I expect comes in the through the window. It’s Glinda. I glare at her. “Go away!” I snap walking away from her.

“They’re coming for you.” Glinda says to me sounding a little worried.

I turn to glare at her again. “Go away!”

Glinda sighs. “Let the little girl go and that poor little dog, Dodo.” I just continue to glare at her as I pace around the room trying to look busy. Glinda grabs my arm gently to stop me from pacing. “I know you don’t want to hear this but somebody’s got to say it: You are out of control! I mean, come on, they’re just shoes, let it go.” I pretended to ignore her she says as I walk away from her. “Elphaba, you can’t go on like this!” She says coming towards me, and I whip around, and take a couple steps closing the gap between us, leaning close to her I growl, “I can do anything I want, I am the Wicked Witch of the West!”

Before I can say anything more another one of my flying monkeys come in, and holds out a note. I snatch it from him. “At last! What took you so long?” I look at the note a bit irritated and slightly confused. “What’s this? Why are you bothering me with this?” I open it and scan the note.

It worked, but not quite as you hoped. He is a scarecrow, but he is alive. If all goes as planned he will see you soon.

I close my eyes a moment, and sigh. I saved him, but at the cost of making him inhuman. What have I done?!

“What is it? What’s wrong? It’s Fiyero, isn’t it? Is he…?” She sounds worried as she comes over to me. I can’t let her know what the letter actually says so I fold it up and make it disappear without her seeing. I then tell her a partial truth. “We’ve seen his face for the last time.”

“Oh no!” Glinda gasp and covers her mouth looking ready to cry.

I realize then that everything I have done has only hurt those I love the most, and though I had already planned to fake my death I couldn’t let her know that, for her own safety. I sigh, turn to her and quietly say, “You’re right. It’s time I surrender.”