First Time for Everything

Everyone stops as and stares as I enter, and it's at that moment I realize that they are laughing and pointing at me

Everyone stops as and stares as I enter, and it's at that moment I realize that they are laughing and pointing at me. Sighing I close my eyes. Of course they are staring at you, Elphaba. You are such an idiot to think that Galinda would really give you a hat that wouldn't make you look stupid when told to wear it to a party. I open my eyes and fake an uncaring look. Well here goes! I tell myself I go onto the dance floor. I listen to the beat of the music a little, and then I start to move to it a little. This isn't too bad. I think as I begin to really start to dance. Who am I kidding I am a terrible dancer. Well why shouldn't I dance? I mean they are already staring at me for being green and for wearing this silly hat! So I continue to dance. It isn't long though before I realize that every is silent and staring at me. I know it's because I am green and okay so maybe I can't dance, but cut me a little slack it's my first party!

I pretty much ignore the stares they are giving me, and keep dance when suddenly someone taps my shoulder. "Excuse me?" I stop and turn around quickly, and I am shocked to see Galinda standing there. "May I cut in?" She says. I am not entirely sure what to say or do so I nod and give a gesture that in a way says by all means!

Everyone gasps in surprise as Galinda gives a quick glance around giving a nervous giggle then she begins to dance. To my amusement she starts to dance like I was. I give her an amused smirk, and she gives me a nervous smile. What she does next further surprises me. "Let me teach you to dance, Elphaba." She whispers.

"Are you serious?" I whisper uncertainly. She nods and the next thing I know she is holding my hands and moving them. After a moment she lets go of my hands. "Follow my lead." She says so only I can hear. I watch her closely and begin to copy her, and it isn't long before I am actually dancing and I am surprised enjoying myself. Even more surprising though is that soon everyone is dancing with Galinda and I! It's as if suddenly they don't care that I am green, or that I can't dance well. For the first time ever I am not an outcast, and for once I am not minding being in the center of everything.

I smile at Galinda and she smiles back, and for the first time I don't see loathing her eye and I don't feel loathing for her. I think that maybe, just maybe we could get along, and who knows maybe we'll become friends. Galinda and I as friends, now that is something I think I would like.

A few hours later Galinda and I are back in our room laughing and chatting. "So Elphaba, tell me what is the best party you have ever been to."

"That's easy. The party tonight." I say as I lounge on my bed, and she grins. "Really? You think tonight's was the best party you have ever been to?" I nod. "Yes, because it is the only party I have ever been to."

"Wait, this was your very first party ever?" She looks at me surprised. I nod before teasing. "Do funerals count?" She gives me the oddest look and shakes her head. "Your very first party. How exciting!" She says a little over excitedly, and then she turns away from her vanity. "Oh! I know, let's tell each other something that we have never told anyone! I'll go first!" She says before I can say yes or no to her idea. "Fiyero and I are going to be married!" She squeals and jumps onto her bed. I stare at her a moment surprised. "He asked you already?!"

"Oh he doesn't know yet." She laughs and just roll my eyes. "Now you tell me your secret Elphaba." She grins expectantly. I am quiet for a moment. What should I tell her? What do I dare share with her. "Like what?" I ask.

"LIke... tell me why you always sleep with this silly little bottle under your pillow?" She asks making a rush towards my pillow, and before I can stop her she has a hold of the bottle I keep there. She holds it up shaking it slightly.

"Give it back!" I say quickly trying to snatch it from Glinda, but she quickly moves it out of my reach. "Not until you tell me what it is!" She insists. I make a rush to grab it again and again she moves it out of the way. I snap and lunge at her trying to tear it out of her hand. "I SAID GIVE IT BACK!" As our eyes meet she looks a little frightened. "Alright." She says letting go. I quickly snatch it and go quickly to my bed. I sit there and stare at the bottle for a few moments.

"It was my mother's. That's all!" She doesn't say anything for a moment. "That's not fair I told you a really good one!" She says and flops down on her bed pretending to pout."

"My father hates me." I finally say. She gaps, sitting up and quickly coming towards me. "Oh Elphaba!"

"That's not my secret!" I say quickly stopping her in her tracks. "The secret is he has a right to."

"Why do you say that?" Glinda asks curiously. I sighs. Here goes. I think to myself before I tell her. "You see it's my fault Nessa is the way she is. When mother was pregnant for Nessa my father was afraid the the baby would be born well..." "Green." We both say together, and I nod. "My father made my mother chew milk flowers, but it made her come too early." I look down at my hands nervously twisting the bottle I hold trying to keep myself composed. "when Nessarose was born her poor legs were so tangled. And our mother never woke up. None of which would have ever happened if not for me."

"But that was the milk flower's fault, not yours." Glinda sits down beside and tilts my face up so I'm looking at her. "Elphaba, that maybe your secret, but that doesn't make it true. Look- it's tomorrow! And Elphie- is it alright if I call you Elphie?" She looks at me expectantly.

"Well, it's a little perky." I say furrowing my brow and making a slight face.

"And you can call me... Galinda." She says in her singsong voice and grins at me. I know I have lost that battle, but I guess there's worse things than being called Elphie.

I wake up and lay there in the darkness as the dream begins to fade. So I go fetch my journal

Dear Diary,

It seems that Glinda was indeed telling the truth about us being friends, but not being friends from the start. It seems that we were in fact, enemies. That must have been irritating seeing as we were roommates. I am not entirely sure what changed that, but something changed and it seems that in just one night we went from being enemies to being friends.

I smile as I write the word friends. It is nice to see it and know that I had Glinda as a friend, and it seems we were close.

I know it sounds crazy, but I have a feeling that Glinda is the first real friend I had. I am glad we became friends, because there is nothing I could ever imagine that would tear our friendship apart. I mean we are still friends now, and for that I am grateful, because I am not sure what I would ever do if she hadn't come here to help me. I hope someday I can tell her how much I appreciate her friendship.

~E.M. Thropp