What the Letters Reveal (Part 2)

Do I continue to read the letters? I mean, I am curious at to what else Glinda had told her parents, but at the same time I still feel guilty for reading even the two I have read

Do I continue to read the letters? I mean, I am curious at to what else Glinda had told her parents, but at the same time I still feel guilty for reading even the two I have read. Elphaba, you have to stop feeling guilty like that! Again, her mother told you, she gave you permission to read them. I decide that I will, but before I can continue there is a knock at my door. "Come in."

"Excuse me, Miss Elphaba?" Bessie says as she opens my door, and look up from the stack of letters. "I was wondering if you would you would like anything for dinner? Glinda is having dinner with her family tonight."

"Thank you Bessie, but I am not hungry at the moment." I smile at her. "In fact, why don't you take the rest of the night off. I can get myself something to eat if I become hungry later." She looks at me surprised, and then very excited. "Are you sure? I mean, I would love to take the night off."

"Then go take the evening off. Go see a movie, or shopping, or whatever you would like to do."

"Thank you! Thank you so much." She says and give me a quick curtsy. "Have a good night!"

I roll my eyes. "I've told you before not to curtsy. Now go enjoy night, Bessie." I say as she smiles then heads out the door.

Once she leaves I sit there for a few more before turning my attention back to the letters. I again draw from the stack somewhere a little past where I had taken the last one from.

My dearest darling Momsie and Popsicle,

I don't have much time so I am just sending you this quick note.

Today I got the most thrillifying news! Elphie has asked me to accompany her the Emerald City! Oh, I have always wanted to see the Emerald City, and to think I finally get to! That isn't even the most incredible thing. You see, Elphie received a letter from the Wizard himself! She is going to meet him face to face, and I get to be there when she does! I'm so excited!

I chuckle picturing Glinda letting out her high pitched squeal, and maybe even bouncing slightly. She seems to react like that when she is excited about something or just really happy.

We are actually on the train right this minute as I write to you,, and will arrive a day ahead of schedule so we can have a chance to see Wiz-o-mania! It's going to be so incredible!

I promise we will be safe, and I will write you when we return to Shiz and tell you all about it. Love and kisses to you both.

Your precious daughter,

Galinda

Setting the letter aside I have mixed feeling because I know that after that visit I didn't return to Shiz. I know the letters after this one are the ones Glinda's mother wanted me to read, but I really don't want to read them, because if I read them then I will once and for all have to admit that I hurt Glinda. In order to delay the pain I know is to come I decide to go find something to eat. It takes me only about thirty minutes.