Remembering a Night of Terror

It has been several hours since Glinda stormed off taking the letters with her, and I am still not sure of what all happened

It has been several hours since Glinda stormed off taking the letters with her, and I am still not sure of what all happened. Maybe if I write I'll be able to figure out what I did wrong, and what in Oz the dream I had meant, and so I take out my journal and begin to write.

Dear Diary,

I had another dream tonight, well to be honest I had two dreams. One was sad and the other one was... was horrible! The worst part is I think both dreams are connected.

I was angry in the first dream. There was a child there, I think her name was Dorothy, and I wanted the silver slippers she was wearing. I mean, I was entitled to them after all they were my sister's, but Glinda felt it had been a wonderful idea to give them to the child. When I went to get them from her she refused to give them to me! She made up some stupid excuse that she couldn't remove them or something like that. Anyways, she was in a room crying and I basically told her to shut up and give me the shoes or she wouldn't ever she her aunt and uncle again. I am shocked to think that I actually threatened to kill a child, but at the same time I'm not surprised...

Glinda was also in the dream, but she was there for a different reason. She said that there were witch hunters after me, but I knew that already, or so it seems. Throughout the whole dream it was as if I felt a deep sense of defeat or maybe just feeling tired, and I when Glinda told me the witch hunters were on their way surprisingly I felt relief. I had accepted my fate it seems and I was ready to stop running and hiding. It's odd that even in the dream despite me being considered young in a sense I wasn't even forty yet I felt old, tired and beat. Who would have thought I could have felt that worn out?

The dream took another turn when I 'saw' the witch hunters in the distance, and tried to convince Glinda to leave, but all she wanted to do was tell everyone what really happened. I made her promise not to, and the biggest reason was I couldn't bare the thought of people hating Glinda. I would rather have all of Oz believe I was as wicked as they thought than to see her hurt. She couldn't understand why I wouldn't let her, and the only thing I could tell her was that she could do what I couldn't, and give her a pathetic apology for all the things I had done.

I stop writing for a bit and go to the window, looking out I see Glinda with her mother, and they are appear to be having a conversation with her. I sigh and turn away returning to my desk.

The second dream was terrible! I forced Glinda to hide where nobody would fine her, and it happened just moments before Dorothy came rushing in my room to tell me the witch hunters were here. She said it as if I was completely clueless to the fact a whole mob of angry people just broke through the door of Kiamo Ko. It was only slightly amusing when you think about it, the front door to where I am living gets busted in sounding like a bomb goes off and this child thinks I don't know they are there!

I begin to cackle, and for several minutes I just sit there and cackle. Once I regain my composure I continue to write.

After she announced her 'news' of the witch hunters arriving I lied to the child and told her I didn't care and that all I wanted was were Nessa's shoes. I got her scared of me and then to make sure my plan went accordingly I threatened to throw a fireball at her. I threw it in the most clumsy way I could to intentionally catch myself on fire. You know what diary, now that I write that Glinda was right, I was insane. I mean what person in their right mind would intentionally set themselves on fire?

Anyways, Dorothy grabbed the bucket of water that I had conveniently placed where she could easily grab it. I knew the rumors people told about it. I knew that everyone in Oz believed that my soul is so unclean that pure water would melt me, but they would be wrong. Water won't melt me, but it will hurt me. You see I do detest water because I suffer from a rare medical disorder known as Aquagenic urticaria, and that basically means I get blisters and very sick when I come in contact with water, I won't melt, but I am very allergic to it.

I braced myself for the inevitable, but Dorothy missed most the flame and ended up dousing me in the chest and face with water, and it hurt. It hurt so bad! I stumbled back a bit and stepped on the trapdoor, and thankfully it unlocked like I had planned, because when I fell through it all my clothes, ok so not all my clothes because I was still in my under garments, came off, like I hoped. I huddled in that cramped, dark spot hearing the guards cheer my 'death,' and I didn't realize until that moment just how much they wanted me dead. It was a relief when I heard them all leave.

I thought I was done hurting people after that, diary, but I was so wrong. You see, I thought everyone had left, but I forgot about one person, Glinda. She came out and I could hear her crying as she made her way over to where I had been. I heard her sick up at what she thought was me, but in actuality was just some spell that caused the goop to appear. I tensed as she shifted and began to speak, but the part that hurt the most was when I heard her whisper she loved me.

The words surprised me so much, and it was at that moment, diary, I realized just how very special she was to me, and that despite everything, all our differences, and everything that had gone on I loved her too. I remember thinking, 'I love you too, my sweet.' but I must have said it outloud because the next thing I know I hear her shift slightly and say my name. She sounded a little uncertain and a tad hopeful. I clamped my hand over my mouth to keep from saying more, and after a moment Glinda let out a scream that nearly killed me.

Hearing her scream made me want to climb out of the trap door and let her know I was still alive, but I knew I couldn't. All I could do was press my hand against the floorboards that separated us and cry. I remember thinking, "Hold out , my sweet. Hold out if you can." I knew thought she would have to move on, and so I listened to her scream for what seemed like hours, though in reality it was only moments, before she got up and left. When. I knew she was gone I couldn't stop myself from screaming as well. It was when I was screaming Glinda woke me up, and then got mad when noticed the letters.

I stop writing again and close my eyes with a shudder as I recall the dream. I can still hear Glinda's screaming ringing in my head. I shake my head in an attempt to forget it all, but it isn't that easy.

I hope now more than ever that the dreams will stop. They were okay for the most part, but after last night I wish to Oz that they would end.

~E.M. Thropp