Losing Elphaba Again?

(Glinda's POV)

(Glinda's POV)

It was late when I returned to the cabin, and I'm surprised when I open the door to total silence. Usually, there would be some noise of some sort. Such as Bessie singing to herself or humming while finishing up some things she hadn't gotten done yet, or the faint sound of pages being turned as  Elphie read curled up near the fireplace, but there was silence.

“Elphie? Bessie?” I call quietly as I begin to go down the hall. As the door to Elphie’s room opens I'm startled to see Bessie come out.

“Glinda! You're finally home.” She says quietly. I notice then she looks worried and she is nervously twisting her hands. “Bessie, is everything alright?” I say trying not to sound alarmed, but I am. Has something happened to Elphie? Bessie shakes her head. “No. Infact, something is very wrong with… with Elphaba.”

“What do you mean? What happened?” I can't help but panic.

“From what I can gather she got, and for lack of a better word, stuck in a vision of her past.”

“Stuck?” I asked confused. “How do you mean she got stuck in a vision?” She sighs and glances into Elphaba's room before quietly closing the door, and leads me to the living room. “I mean, I came back a few hours ago because Elphaba gave me yesterday and most of today off, and I found her in a fetal position on the floor crying.”

“Crying?” I say surprised. “What do you mean crying? Elphie doesn't cry.”

“I know, but she was, and for quite some time judging by the burns on her face.” She pauses for a moment before going on. “There is something else you need to know. Three things actually.”

“Alright. What are they?”

“ First thing, Elphaba's eyes were clouded over to the point they were basically all white. Secondly, her looking glass was glowing as before, but it wasn't the same” Bessie sound hesitant. “Almost ominously.”

“How so?” I ask curiously, and she goes on. “It was almost stormy looking.” She looks at me. “I'm sorry but I don't know how else to explain it.”

“That's okay. What is the third thing?”

“Lastly, I noticed that the vial she keeps on her shelf was empty and on the floor.” This alarmed me very much. If Elphie drank down what was left in that elixir Laureline knows what it did to her. I furrowed my brow and began to pace. “Bessie, how did you get her to stop seeing the vision?”

“At first I wasn't sure what to do because I didn't know what was going on. Then I saw the vial and the looking glass, and that is when I figured maybe if I covered the looking glass it might somehow break the link it had to her, and it worked.” She shrugs

“How is she now?”

“Asleep. I managed to get her into bed, and treated her burns, but she didn't want me to leave. She is really shaken and afraid, so I told her I would stay with her.”

Giving Bessie a small smile I thank her. “Than you. I am not sure what would have happened if you hadn't have been here.”

“You're welcome Glinda.” She smiles back, and goes to head back to Elphie's room. “Um, Bessie!”

“Yes?” She asks turning to look at me. “Why don't you go to bed. I can sit with Elphie.” I say, and she smiles. “Alright, but if you need anything at all you know where I'll be.” I nod.

After Bessie goes to her room I go to Elphie's. I quietly go over to her, and my heart breaks when I see the burns from tears on her cheek. “Oh Elphie!” I whisper and wish I knew a healing spell that could help her, but I don't.

I sit down in the chair beside her bed and watch her. I'm not sure how much time has past when Elphie begins to whimper. I study her for a moment wondering if I should wake her when she suddenly starts to scream. I jump out the chair and go to her. “Elphie!” I say gently yet urgently taking her hand.

Her eyes open and she is struggles against me. “Their coming for me! Gotta run, but I can't move! It hurts! Everything hurts.” She is crying again. It's then I notice her eyes are clouded over. Oh no! She is seeing things again. I frantically trying to wake her, but nothing works. Looking around the room I notice a glow coming from under a blanket… the looking glass! Rushing over to where it is I grab it, and head out of the room.

I rush out the door and pitching the looking glass as hard as I can, and watch as it sails through the air and shatters sending brilliant green sparks into the air as it does. Hopefully that worked.

I go back inside and when I go into Elphie's room she is no longer having a fit and has settled somewhat. She is still trembling and she is covered in sweat. I gently move a strand of hair off her face. “Elphie!” I says in a quiet whisper. “Elphie, it's okay. You're safe.” I whisper cautiously laying down beside her. I gently hold her close, and I feel her cuddle against me, and it isn't long before we are both asleep.

I wake up first and carefully get up so I don't wake her, and make my way into the kitchen where I am greeted with the smell of tea and muffins. “Morning Bessie.” I say going over to the kettle and pouring some tea. “Morning Glinda. How is Elphaba today?”

“Honestly I'm not sure. She had a rough night, but I was able to get her to settle down after I got rid of her looking glass.”

“You got rid of it?” She looks surprised. “How?” Taking a sip of tea I shrug. “I threw it outside and it shattered.”

“Wow!” Bessie says in amazement. “Hopefully she won't be upset with you.” I shrug. “I don't care if she is. I did it for her own good.”

Just then we are both surprised to see very haggard looking Elphie shuffle into the kitchen wrapped in one of her blanket. “Good morning Elphie.” I say giving her a smile, but she just stares at me. I exchange a look with Bessie. “So Elphie, you and I are going to go for a walk. I want to go back to the clearing, and just spend some time with you, okay?” Elphie stares at me looking unsure, and then nods and takes a seat.

“Elphaba, would you like some tea and a muffin?" Bessie asks, and again Elphaba stares. She has the same unsure look in her eyes that she gave me, and after moment she nods. Bessie pours her a cup of tea and gives her a muffin. Elphie ignores both, and just sits there huddled in her blanket staring off into space. Bessie tries to talk to her. “Elphaba, I am trying to decide what to prepare of supper. Any ideas?” Elphaba closes her eyes and sighs almost as if she is annoyed. Then she opens them and looks at Bessie. “I don't care what you fix.” She says and stands. “I'll be in my room when you want to leave.” She says to me and leaves the kitchen.

As I watch Elphie leave I can't help but wonder am I losing Elphie again?