Putting the Pieces Back Together

"Grrr!" I slam my fist against the table in frustration

"Grrr!" I slam my fist against the table in frustration. I have been working in this damn glass ball for hours now, and still haven't made any progress! I have tried magic, but for some odd reason I can't seem to make my abilities work when I want them to. I would try melting the pieces down and re blowing the glass, but I can't remember the process, and so I am left with the painstaking task of put it back together piece by piece.

There's a knock at the door. "Enter!" I say as I examine another piece of broken glass trying to get it to fit. Bessie walks in. "Elphaba, I wanted to let you know I brought you something to eat."

"Mmm." Is all I respond staying focused on the task I am working on. She sighs, sets the tray down beside me on the nightstand, and leaves. I glance at the tray. Maybe a break to eat wouldn't be such a bad idea. After all sometime stopping for a bit helps you see things clearer, and so I set the partially reconstructed glass ball aside, but something happened. As I began to move the glass aside something changed. I am not sure if it was strain or what but the moment I touched it I thought I saw something, a shimmer or a blur or something. I stare at the shattered pieces. "What in Oz?" I say quietly squinting at the pieces. After moment of nothing happening I shrug and carefully moving the glass aside so I don't break what I have already reassembled.

After I eat I go and get cleaned up. "Maybe I'm crazy." I mumble as I return to my room and lay down. Clicking off the light I lay there. I sigh and realize I'm not actually tired, but I should try and sleep. I lay there for who knows how long not even realizing I doze off, when I am startled awake. I am not sure why, but I suddenly feel an urgency to get my looking glass reassembled.

Getting up quickly I don a dress, and then clear off the main part of the desk. Carefully I manage to get the small assembled part of the glass ball and all the pieces onto the desk. "There! Ready to get work." I say to myself as I take a seat, put on my glasses, and begin the painstaking task of trying to piece together all the assorted pieces.

I am not sure how long I work on it, but all I know is that I almost have the glass ball back together when there is a knock at my door. "Elphie?"

"Yeah?" I say distractedly as the door opens. "Elphie, have you been working in that all night?" Glinda asks as she comes up beside me.

"I dozed for a little bit." I say not looking at her.

"How long is a little bit?" I don't respond, and she sighs and steps closer to me. "Elphie!?"

"What?" I snap glaring up at her as she blocks the lighting a bit.

"How much is a little bit?" She repeats.

"I don't know." I shrug and motion her to move out of the light. "Maybe a half an hour or so... maybe?"

"Elphie! You need to take a break." Glinda says placing her hand on my shoulder. I look up at her. "Glinda, I can't. I'm almost fin-"

"Elphaba Thropp!" She says sternly and then gives me a gentle look. "I know you want to get the looking glass reassembled, but please just take a break for a bit. You never know, it may just be the thing you need to get it completed sooner."

"Glin, I-" I go to object.

"Elphie, you don't have a choice. I have spoken with Momsie and we are going to heading into town, and have decided that you are coming with us."

"I hate shopping." I mumble.

"I know you do, and that is why we will be making it a point to stop at a bookstore that opened not long ago." She says with a smile, and I narrow my eyes at her. "So you are bribing me to leave the house then?" I ask arching a brow. She nods. "Your mother approves of me leaving the property?" She nods again. "And you father?" I ask skeptically, and she swallows and licks her lips nervously. "W-well, n-no. Not exactly. You see Popsicle doesn't know."

"I see..."

"Elphie, please! You need to get out and do something. You can't keep hiding away in this room!" She says motioning around the room. "Besides, it needs a good cleaning. It's filthy in here." She says matter a factly and shudders.

"My room is fine! It's just... just well lived in!" Okay so maybe my room is untidy, but it is how I like it. I glare at Glinda. "I'm not going, and that is final!"

She goes to object when suddenly her mother is standing in the doorway. "Hello girls." She says with a smile, and Glinda and I jump whip around to face her. "Momsie!" Glinda says quickly. "Lady Upland!" I say surprised.

"If you two are finished bickering it is time we head out." She says, and then looks us both over. "Come along both of you, the carriage awaits." Glinda and I exchange looks. "Yes, Ma'am." We say inunisense before heading to the carriage.