Broken Again

(Bessie's POV)

(Bessie's POV)

(Bessie's POV)

It's been wonderful being able to have some time off to do some things I otherwise wouldn't be able to, even if it has only been a day, but it is getting time for me to head back to the cabin, and so I collect my things and climb up into the carriage.

“Where to miss?” the cabbie asks. I inform him of my destination and he clicks the reins and we are off. It takes about an hour to get to the Upland’s estate. The cabbie helps me unload my bag, I pay him and thank him for the ride, and once he leaves I pick up my bag and head around to the back where I will follow one of the paths to the cabin.

Arriving at the cabin I open door. “Elphaba! I'm back!” I calling, and shrug when I don't get an answer. She must be out walking. I mean it is a beautiful day, and I have noticed that she does like to get out whenever she can. At first I'm surprised Chistery isn't around as well, but he likely went off to wherever it is he likes to disappear to for days on end or he will be with Elphaba.

I take my things to my room, and then head to the kitchen. Its beginning to get late, and so I decide to go ahead and prepare some supper for Elphaba and I, but as I pass Elphaba's room I hear something I hadn't heard before. Is that Elphaba? Is she… crying?

Feeling rather alarmed to hear sobbing I knock frantically on the door. “Elphaba?” No answer. “Elphaba!” I knock again and try the door. I feel relieved when it opens. “Elphaba, are is everything alr-” I go silent when I see her huddled in fetal position on the floor.

Rushing over to her I notice something is very very wrong with her, and I don't just mean the burns on her cheeks from crying. Although that is enough to cause alarm because she never cries due to her allergy to water, but because her eyes are huge! I also notice they look extremely cloudy. “Elphaba?” I say quietly and gently touch her arm. She scares the hell out of me when she let's out a bloodcurdling scream as if she is in pain. “Elphaba!” I say again louder. “It's me Bessie!” She still doesn't respond except to curl up even more and she began to mumble. I lean in and try to hear what she is saying.

“I-it h-h- hurts!” She whimpers. “Ju-just w-want to d-die!” My heart breaks hearing her say that. “Oh Elphaba.” I say looking around I notice two things. One the vial she kept on her shelf is empty and on the floor, and  secondly for the first time I notice her looking glass, and it is glowing. I look back her on the verge of tears myself because I now understand what she is experiencing is all in her head.

I sit there a moment trying to figure out what I can do when I suddenly have an idea. I quickly stand, grab a blanket and go over to the looking glass. “Well, it's worth a shot.” I say quietly, and cover it with the blanket, and then turn back to check on Elphaba. She is still huddled on the floor and whimpering, but she isn't freaking out anymore.

Approaching Elphaba slowly I kneel down beside her. “Elphaba?” I say again quietly and she whimpers and shifts a little closer to me. “Are you okay?” She looks up at me slowly, and her eyes are clear now, but looked frightened. It's then I notice she is trembling. I get up to get a blanket, and she grabs my hand frantically. The sudden movement from her startles me. “I'm just going to get you a blanket, and I'll be right back, okay?” She keeps ahold of my hand for a moment longer before she let's go of it.

I get a blanket from her bed and return to her wrapping it around her. “Do you want to talk about what you saw?” She shakes her head. “Alright.” I say as she leans against me. “You do know what you saw was just a vision right?” I say after a little bit.

“It seemed so real.” Elphaba whispers hoarsely. “My body was covered in blisters or something. It was hard t-to tell through the hazy.” She pulls the blankets tighter around herself. “Every part of me hurt. I felt as is my skin was melting off me.” I could see her beginning to get worked up again, and so I do the only thing I could think of and begin to rub her back. “F-Fiyero was there. H-he… he… I don't remember I passed out.” She says even quieter.

I sighs. I shouldn't be the one to tell her, but she needs to know. “Elphaba, what you saw really happened.” She looks up at me with a hint of fear, doubt and surprise mixed in her eyes. “You see Lady Upland told Glinda how you came to be here at the Upland's Estate.” I go on tell her about what Glinda had told me happened after Elphaba had faked her own death, and the entire time Elphaba sat there quietly taking it all in as she stared down at the floor. “And so that is what happened.”

Elphaba is silent for several minutes. “Thank you for telling me.” She says looking at me, and I give her a sad smile. “You're welcome.” She returns the small smile for a half second and looks back down. “Are you okay?” I ask her again knowing she is likely sick of hearing me ask, but she just shrugs. “I will be. I think.” She says and gets up slowly. “I am going to bed. I'm rather tired she says as she goes over to her bed, and lays down. I turn off the lights and close the curtain, and as I go to leave I hear Elphaba speak. “Please don't leave me alone!” She sounds a bit panicked. “I won't, but let me go get some ointment to put on your face, and then I promise I'll  stay here.” She nods hesitantly, “A-alright.”

I go quickly and get her ointment returning in just a few moments. I gently apply it. “Is that better?” She nods. “A little, thanks.” I give her a smile. “You're welcome. Now try and get some sleep. I'll be right here if you need anything.” I tell her, and it isn't long before she is asleep, but even in her sleep I can tell she’s afraid because she whimpers. I lean my head back and close my eyes wishing Glinda was here, because just maybe she would be able to help Elphaba.