Chapter Eight || Friends

Rosalie found herself getting closer to her sisters, except Lorelei who steered clear of her. She realized that she had missed normal life. She missed living with other people and although it took adjusting she found it was way better then living alone.

After the first night sleeping alone Rosalie went to Zeniff's room and asked if she could sleep with her. Rosalie didn't know if Zeniff's thought it was because Rosalie was scared or because she had missed her sister but she let her sleep with her from then on.

It was kind of a combination of all three, honestly. Rosalie had nightmares at night, she did miss her sister, but it was mostly because every time she woke up alone she feared that she was back in the prison world and she panicked every time. She hadn't realized how much she had hated that place.

It shocked Rosalie when she got a phone call from Elena asking if she wanted to meet for lunch. Rosalie knew it was probably because of her connection to Kai but she agreed, wanting to help. Elena agreed to pick her up and they would go somewhere close.

Rosalie had just put her hair in a ponytail when Elena arrived with a pretty blond girl in tow. "Hey." She greeted them, stepping out and joining them on the porch.

"Hi!" The blonde said with a smile. "I'm Caroline. I wanted to meet you, Rosalie right?"

Rosalie nodded. "Yes. Nice to meet you too."

"Should we go?" Elena asked, motioning to the car parked in the driveway.

Rosalie nodded and followed the two girls into the car. They made small talk until they had ordered. Rosalie could tell Caroline wanted to ask her something but didn't want to be rude.

"If you guys have any questions, you can go ahead and ask." Rosalie said with a small smile.

"You saw Bonnie?" Caroline asked.

Rosalie nodded.

"And she was okay? She looked...alive?"

"Yes. I believe she was alive when I left."

"You saw her, did you leave her behind?"

Rosalie looked down at her hands. "I wanted to go back but Kai forced me to come with him. I wanted to go back and bring her with us but Kai refused." It wasn't the whole truth but it also wasn't a lie.

"Oh." Caroline said, deflating a bit. "You don't know anything else that could help us get her out?" Caroline asked hopefully.

Rosalie shook her head. "I'm sorry. I do not. I would not even know where to start looking. I'm sorry I can't be of much help."

"You're being plenty helpful." Elena said. "I wanted you to meet Caroline and she wanted to ask about Bonnie herself."

Rosalie nodded. "Of course." She said as their food was set down in front of them. She was a little sad about the fact that Elena didn't do it to start a friendship but she could understand why she wouldn't want too. Rosalie was not the best at making friends but she could tell Elena would be a good friend. Caroline would also be a good friend, she was worried about Bonnie. Rosalie wished she could had a friendship that strong but being trapped for twenty years with only Kai left a lot to be desired.

"I didn't want this lunch to just be about Bonnie." Elena said after a minute. "Where are you from Rosalie?"

"I'm from Portland. I lived there for only a few years, before that I lived in California."

"I think it would be fun to live in California." Caroline grinned. "The sun, the beaches, the sand."

"It was mostly fun." Rosalie nodded. "I was a lot shyer as a teenager. So I spent most of my time reading, usually inside."

Caroline and Elena nodded.

"Can I ask you something...about Kai?" Elena asked.

Rosalie nodded.

"Did you...I mean...you and Kai...were you-"

"Together?" Rosalie sighed and nodded. "Yes. We were together for a while." Rosalie found herself wishing he were there now. "We sort of split up after we were trapped but we saw each other after that, a few times."

"You really love him, don't you?"

Rosalie looked up at Elena and Caroline. She did not think it was that obvious, and he had done so many bad things, to everyone.

"Why do you say that?" Rosalie asked.

"The way you talk about him, your facial expressions," Elena explained. "And I'm assuming he asked you to marry him because you're wearing an engagement ring."

Rosalie looked down at the ring. Even through everything Kai had done, she never once thought about taking it off. If she did that might make everything become reality. If she took that ring off it meant that love couldn't conquer everything and Rosalie didn't know if she could handle that. It had been her biggest belief as a child and if she lost that now she didn't know what she would do.

Rosalie smiled sadly. "I do. I know it awful but I do."

Elena shook her head. "I know what it's like to love someone who had done awful things."

Rosalie nodded slowly.

The rest of the lunch, they swapped funny stories before Elena dropped Rosalie home. She headed inside, happy that Elena had asked her to lunch. Even if it was only to get information about Bonnie.