Chapter Twenty-Six || Mourning

The next few weeks the feeling of drowning never left her. Everyday she had to wake up, without Kai or her sisters, and spend the day alone. Jo visited a few times but it didn't help. Jo had her own problems going on and as much as she wanted to help, Rosalie knew she couldn't.

Rosalie got the house and everything in it. She spent her days going through Karina and Zeniff's stuff. She didn't know if Lorelei was dead or alive so she packed up all her stuff and put it in storage.

Zeniff's stuff was hardest to go through because Zeniff had kept some of Rosalie's stuff. Small things, like Rosalie's favorite books. Rosalie didn't think she had cried that much in forever. Every time she saw something it was like her heart was trying to rip itself in half.

Rosalie picked up a small book that had been in Zeniff's drawer. She opened it, realizing that it was Zeniff's journal. She leaned against the bed and looked at the date. It was from two years ago.

Dear Rosalie,

Today was your birthday. Karina and Lorelei don't understand why I care so much about you. They don't understand that for the first three years of my life you were like a mother to me. After you left mother didn't care for me. She barely provided me with one meal a day. Gosh, how I missed you.

Lorelei asked me to tell a story about you, but I couldn't remember any special ones. That confused her, hah. She doesn't think you could have been so special if you don't have any good stories. She just doesn't understand.

Anyway, I'll talk to you again tomorrow. Lorelei and Karina are complaining that I promised to watch a movie with them.

Love,

Zeniff

Rosalie covered her mouth, trying to stop her sobs. Zeniff had written her journal as if she was writing letters to Rosalie. Rosalie shut the book and clutched it to her chest, clenching her jaw as she tried to stop the tears. She missed her sisters so much.

When Rosalie could control her tears she stood up and finished packing away Zeniff's room, putting the journal in her bag. She couldn't bare to get rid of any of their stuff so she put everything in storage. She didn't sell the house but she put it up for rent. She wasn't sure anyone would want to rent it, due to the two murders that had taken place within but she didn't want to sell it and she didn't want to live in it.

Once Rosalie had finished with the house she realized that she had nothing to do. She didn't have a job, she didn't have friends, and she didn't have anything left. Rosalie then decided that she was going to drive to Oregon. Not because it was where she was from, necessarily. But it was where she had spent a lot of her time when she was trapped for 20 years. She had a place she had wanted to take her sisters, but now she would never get too.

There was a small island off the coast of Oregon. It was more like a sand bar, but when Rosalie didn't want Kai to find her she would hide there. It was her favorite place and now she would never take her sisters there.

Rosalie started packing, careful to only pack what she needed. She would have to take a small boat there and she didn't need a lot of clothes. She packed some camping supplies and food for the trip. She felt like she was missing something but she ignored it. Once she was finished she got in her car and drove.

She drove for as long as she could, before she had to stop and rest. She didn't recognize the scenery, probably because it had been 20 years and things had changed. She stopped at a few small towns where they looked almost exactly the same as they did when she had visited them but she didn't stay. She didn't care about those places, she wanted to get to her destination as fast as she could.

Finally Rosalie arrived in Oregon, and before she headed to the island she decided to stop and see her old house.