Chapter 2

"Happy Halloween!" Rosaline cheered, her eyes bright and full of excitement. She waltzed around the table in the Great Hall, scurrying to take a seat next to Lily, who was opposite of Belle and Eileen. It was only breakfast, and Rose was already too energetic for the rest of the girls.

"Whoopie." Belle rolled her eyes, taking a piece of toast. Rose looked mildly offended at the brunette's tone.

"What can you possibly be upset about? It's the best holiday of the year!" The blonde narrowed her eyes, grabbing an apple. She took a bite out of it, a tiny bit of juice trailing down her chin. Lily scrunched her nose before handing the girl a napkin.

"I hate Halloween." Belle shrugged, causing Rose to drop her apple. It hit the table, an then the bench, rolling once it got to the floor. It continued to roll until it hit the foot of none other than James Potter. Behind him was his gang, all weary of sitting next to the girl who looked as mad as a giant right now.

"What do you mean you hate Halloween?" Rose screeched, causing some of the surrounding students to glare in their direction.

"I mean I hate Halloween. I get scared easily, so it's not fun for me. My Dad always used to scare me when I was little, jumping out around corners and stuff. I think it scarred me." Belle shuddered, buttering the toast. She gave Remus a smile when he took the seat next to her, grabbing a waffle from the pile. Sirius and James sat next to Lily who glared at them, Peter taking a seat on the opposite side of Eileen. Eileen shot the boy a look, before turning back to her own waffle.

"You are no longer my friend Brielle Roux." Rose hissed, crossing her arms.

"Geez, Belle, you hate like everything!" James laughed, "Do you like anything at all?"

"I like reading," Belle took a bite of the toast. "Oh! And roses, I absolutely love roses!"

"Well I don't love you back!" Rose hissed, still fuming over the fact Belle hated Halloween. Belle rolled her eyes at the girl, turning to Lily who had begun to ask her a question.

"Roses? Why?"

"My uncle goes on business trips a lot, and he asks me if I want anything from different countries- ya know, like souvenirs. When I was little, I asked for a flower- for my hair- and Maurice brought me back an actual rose from Italy; it was beautiful. But, flowers die, so I asked him to keep bringing home flowers, and he always brings me a rose. Don't know why, to be honest."

"That's sweet." Lily said.

"Yea, it is." Belle smiled, before opening her book and blocking out the rest of the conversation. The rest of the kids stared at her for a moment, before continuing to talk. It was not unusual for Belle to suddenly drop a conversation to read.

"So, which one of you lucky ladies wants to help us with the History of Magic essay?" James grinned, glancing around at the girls.

"By us he means himself and Sirius; Peter and I already finished." Remus smirked taking a bite from his waffle.

"Do it yourself, Potter, it's not that hard." Lily glanced around the Great Hall, turing to find Serverus before classes started. She found him and waved to him, with a smile on her face, but he didn't wave back. Belle, who had glanced up from her book for just a split second, spotted this interaction and frowned. She thought Snape was friends with Lily, why the cold shoulder?

"Whatever, Evans," James peered around Remus to see who Lily was waving at before barking a laugh. "You're friends with Snivellus?"

"What did you call him?" Lily growled, her head whipping towards James, some of her hair hitting Rose in the face.